Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Product & Vendor Recommendation

Here is a seldom told tale nowadays.

Last Saturday, about 11pm I decide it’s time to get a serious UPS with true sine wave output and some real features like automated shutdown that actually works. About 30 minutes later web research had it down to the APC SmartUPS line, or the Pulsar EX series. The reviews seemed to give the Pulsar a slight edge for both features and software so after some more Googling I find the 1500VA APC is about $300 less than a comparable Pulsar. That settles it, APC it is. Two more minutes finds the APC BR1500 for $299 at the APC webstore and $169 at PCnation.com with free shipping if I can wait for three day Airborne Express. I place the order and figure I will see it by next Friday and forget about it.

Next day I get an e-mail at about 3pm saying that it had just shipped (it was a Sunday, what the ?). On Tuesday, it arrived at 3pm (What the ? again)

It took 3 minutes to plug it in, patch the USB connect cable and re-start the server with the UPS on-line. Next I went to www.APC.com and downloaded the latest version of PowerChute (1.3.1) for Mac OSX and installed it. As soon as I quit the installer a notice popped up saying that a BR1500 UPS had been detected and I could open the system preferences to configure it. I like stuff that works like that.

The control panel took 30 seconds to set and then I noticed it was fully integrated with the Apple power saver panel and recognized the re-start after power failure option. It also showed me a status display of the UPS battery and line condition, cool.

That’s the way I want all my online purchases and product choices to play out. Why isn’t this the normal result?

Anyway, I highly recommend the APC line of battery backup systems and PCnation for online peripheral purchasing at really cheap prices with really fast service.

BTW, the BR1500 is a really well made piece of gear. It has data & phone line filters and a half dozen well spaced outlets on the back. It delivers true sine wave power all the time (not a small thing). The battery module can be swapped out very easily and is readily available from several sources at a reasonable price. If an outboard battery pack is connected up (same type of connector), you can hot swap the on-board battery module. Nice piece of gear. Looks like it should cost over $500 but doesn’t by a lot. I like that too :-)

--

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...