Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it okay to shoot "pink" brass?

razorfish

Some of the "pink" ones come from having laid in acidic soil for an extended time. If they are noticeably pink I personally put them in the scrap brass bucket. Then you will occasionally come across ones that are pure black, I've got a 9mm Win case that I ran through the stainless process twice, tumbled for a total of 4 hours in walnut and is still all black. It's very shiny, perfectly clean in the primer hole, inside gleams but is extremely shiny.

I'd be interested to hear any theories on what turns the rare case black ???

I think it's just from being in the elements too long. The climate and soiI may have something to do with it. I do all my shooting here in Florida and pick up range brass anytime I have a chance, including the black ones. It seems like I find more black cases in different parts of the state than I do others. But, is it becuase of the difference in the climate and soil, or is it because the cases have just been on the gound longer....who knows. I do know that if the cases have been buried, it certainly speeds up the cases turning black. I suspect that most of the ones I find were buried at one time, and the rain along with foot traffic have uncovered them.

I load them either way, but the black ones I usually just use for practice ammo.

Yeah, you've got to have the prettiest, shiniest brass for matches...otherwise it doesn't shoot as straight!

Merry Christmas, Chris!

Some of the "pink" ones come from having laid in acidic soil for an extended time. If they are noticeably pink I personally put them in the scrap brass bucket. Then you will occasionally come across ones that are pure black, I've got a 9mm Win case that I ran through the stainless process twice, tumbled for a total of 4 hours in walnut and is still all black. It's very shiny, perfectly clean in the primer hole, inside gleams but is extremely shiny.

I'd be interested to hear any theories on what turns the rare case black ???

I think it's just from being in the elements too long. The climate and soiI may have something to do with it. I do all my shooting here in Florida and pick up range brass anytime I have a chance, including the black ones. It seems like I find more black cases in different parts of the state than I do others. But, is it becuase of the difference in the climate and soil, or is it because the cases have just been on the gound longer....who knows. I do know that if the cases have been buried, it certainly speeds up the cases turning black. I suspect that most of the ones I find were buried at one time, and the rain along with foot traffic have uncovered them.

I load them either way, but the black ones I usually just use for practice ammo.

Yeah, you've got to have the prettiest, shiniest brass for matches...otherwise it doesn't shoot as straight!

Merry Christmas, Chris!

Yeah, I need all the help I can get, real or imagined :) Merry Chistmas to you, too.