Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finger in the trigger guard

wgnoyes

OK, now I'll be a bit less tactful. Rule 10.5.9 is inartfully written, as are many of our rules, so some common sense is required of the RO. In this case, the RO enforced the rule blindly and without that critical common sense component.

It has been pointed out to me that if you can't handle the way things are done then you need to look for another game.

I've DQ'd folks in that other sport for safety violations & seen righteous DQ's in USPSA, so it ain't that I'm anti DQ, but the 'Dq'd because of rule 359 subparagraph D section xii, based on the subcommittees hypothetical scenario that such and such could eventually lead to so and so' just doesn't work for me personally.

What does work, and may or may not be a thing for the wheel gunner, is just to low key things. Contribute to the sport with set up & pasting and etc, have fun at low cost and easy drive local matches, but don't let yourself get too much invested to where the things you don't like can ruin your fun.

I'm going to challenge both you and stealthy to respond to my "what if" question above. While, looking at the rules, you can sit there and be critical of someone issuing a DQ for following the letter of the rule - but I think there is real practical sense, after thinking about this for a while, to adhering to the letter of the law here. Permitting a shooter to put their fingers in the trigger guard, in a specific way, for a specific piece of equipment, doing a specific process, can be a recipe for disaster.

Muscle memory combined with improper technique can cause them not to do it right - ONE TIME- and it results in a more dangerous situation than need be.

I understand that in this ONE particular observation, that he was DQ'd for something that couldn't have possibly resulted in the gun firing - but the technique COULD lead to something much more dangerous, and the reason for the DQ and the rules being as they are - are sound. My challenge to you is to argue against this premise, instead of calling the RO a nazi and the DQ being a lawyer trick instead of a chapter and verse issue. Sperman's point is valid.

I couldn't agree more.