Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Gun Scrubber safe to use near a carbon fiber handguard?

Bill Schwab

Just put a new upper together and went with an AP Custom carbon fiber handguard to save weight, and it's very nice. Anyways, I've been using a lot of Gun Scrubber to clean guns recently and wondered if anyone knows if it's safe to use near carbon fiber? I tried calling AP today but their # didn't work, and an e-mail got bounced back to me.

GunScrubber is basically watered down brake parts cleaner. While it won't affect the actual carbon fiber at all, it will affect the resins and coatings in and on the tubing. A little on a cloth won't hurt it, a tad of overspray if wiped off quickly won't hurt it. A soaking will damage the coating and if done enough, could end up with some mild delamination if you get through the outer gel coat. If it remains "shiney" you probably have not hurt anything.

GunScrubber is basically watered down brake parts cleaner. While it won't affect the actual carbon fiber at all, it will affect the resins and coatings in and on the tubing. A little on a cloth won't hurt it, a tad of overspray if wiped off quickly won't hurt it. A soaking will damage the coating and if done enough, could end up with some mild delamination if you get through the outer gel coat. If it remains "shiney" you probably have not hurt anything.

Thanks for the thorough info, I appreciate it.