Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm 5.25 Conversion barrels

Shooter115

Anyone here have experience running a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel on their 5.25 XDm? Looks like both Bar-sto and Storm Lake both make them. I have a 5.25 in .40 and one in 9mm, been thinking about getting a conversion barrel to throw in the .40 so I can have a back-up pistol for 3-gun matches without dragging along ammo for two calibers. Thoughts or advice??

I think Bar-Sto is the only game in town for a 5.25 comversion barrel, and there is a wait for their's. I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel in my 4.5 XDm and have run it a lot. It worked 100% with 9mm mags. It was iffy with my crap 9mm reloads until I changed to lighter 16 lb recoil spring. I also have a EFK 9mm conversion barrel in my 3.8 XDm and although I have not shot it much yet it has worked fine what little I have.

I think Bar-Sto is the only game in town for a 5.25 comversion barrel, and there is a wait for their's. I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel in my 4.5 XDm and have run it a lot. It worked 100% with 9mm mags. It was iffy with my crap 9mm reloads until I changed to lighter 16 lb recoil spring. I also have a EFK 9mm conversion barrel in my 3.8 XDm and although I have not shot it much yet it has worked fine what little I have.

Did you have to change the extractor, when you put the 9mm barrel in your 40?

Edited by Reshoot

I could have swore I saw a Storm Lake conversion barrel too, but it's not listed on their website so I could be mistaken.

Though I haven't seen anything about changing the extractor, it's a good question Reshoot.

Kinda surprised there's there not more info out there on the 5.25 conversions. You would think that it would be a popular option for guys that shoot both USPSA Limited and 3gun.

Kinda surprised there's there not more info out there on the 5.25 conversions. You would think that it would be a popular option for guys that shoot both USPSA Limited and 3gun.

Yep, and we don't have a .22 conversion either. I did nothing to the extractor and have run in excess of 1,000 rounds mixed and factory through my 4.5 with no extraction or ejection issues. The 3.8 runs fine with the stock recoil spring on both reloads and factory, but this batch of reloads may be a little stouter.

I actually ran my .40 5.25 in Production with .40 minor loads and liked it A LOT. I ran it in 3-Gun but felt I was handicapping myself against the higher capacity of a 9. I ran dry at a major match this year twice, half-way through a disappearing target. No! Just one more round! AAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

We're in the same boat chevyoneton. I've been running my XDm 5.25 .40 for 2 years now in 3-gun with mouse fart .40 reloads. But the idea of having an extra 4 rounds in the gun got the best of me so I just picked up another in 9mm and am in the process of getting that set up for next season. I would still like to have the conversion barrel for my .40 though to have as a back-up gun so I can use the same ammo and mags.

I just picked up another in 9mm and am in the process of getting that set up for next season.

I would love to have a 5.25 in 9mm also, and may end up with one some day but not yet. The cost of another gun, another trigger job, etc. is not in my budget currently. I just (mostly) finished converting my 9X23/.38 Super Colt 1911 to 9mm and adding enhancements (sights, HTS, Grip Safety, Beaver Tail, six Cobra mags, etc.) to run USPSA SS minor and that has eaten most of my current gun budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you go the other way too, from 9mm to .40 cal? I have a 9mm built for 3-gun that I'd like to be able to run in .40 for USPSA Limited. I run it as a limited 9 for fun occasionaly and lose a decent amount of points.

Can you go the other way too, from 9mm to .40 cal? I have a 9mm built for 3-gun that I'd like to be able to run in .40 for USPSA Limited. I run it as a limited 9 for fun occasionaly and lose a decent amount of points.

It is my understanding you can not go "up" (9 to .40) in size on these conversions. And I have never seen a barrel to do so.