Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

50 hole chamber checker?

anyone have an idea where to buy a 50 hole chamber checker that will line the checked rounds back up with a foam tray for packaging? i have looked at this one from EGW ( sorry not enough posts to have a link yet) but all the reviews say that the checked rounds will not fit the plastic/foam trays for packaging its basically a load em into the checker one at a time and dump and load them in the trays. i am looking for one i can just load one time then after checking can dump straight into the packaging trays.

Ben Stoeger has 100 round chamber checkers in 9mm and 40SW. They are called "The Hundo Case Gauge". These are the ones that line up with the MTM boxes for easy transfer after the drop check. (Actually you need two ammo boxes as the first one is used as a "flip tray").

Link to website:

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/category-s/1818.htm

Link to video of the Hundo Case Gauge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk1sRFHtq90

Have your own made. Shouldnt be to expensive. Buy a chamber reamer for whatever round you want, take to a guy with a CNC that actually KNOWS what he is doing with it. Bring your packaging, explain what you want, and shouldnt be a problem to get them made. Thats what I would do at least.

Maybe talk to a barrel maker and see what they might be able to do as they probably already have all the chamber reamers and what not.

I'm going to assume we are talking about pistol cartridges here as you mentioned a 50 round drop check.

If this is the case, packaging pistol rounds in a 50 round tray is simple. A 50 hole drop check won't save you much time with regards to packaging but as long as you're making good ammo, it will save you time drop checking.

If your having one made you will more or less be committing yourself to one particular type/manufacturer of packing supplies.

Also note that you would need a matching "flip tray" made to reverse the ammo coming out of the drop check. If not the will be upside down in the package (bullet upward and therefore difficult to load). Add a few bad rounds that get stuck in the drop check and it will be more trouble than it's worth.

If you're doing large quantities you could do your drop check separately. When ready to package, you simply set the ammo trays in a bin a finished ammo and drop the finished ammo on top of them. First pass will get about 80% or more of them in the tray due to the idea that the bullet is heavier and cartridges natural flip downward. A couple of shakes and another handful of bullets and they will fill the trays up quickly. With a little practice, you will be getting 90% or more of the rounds to fall into the trays on the first pass. It should only take a few seconds to load a 50 round tray of ammo.

It's the opposite idea of the technique I use to inspect cases. Here's a link to a video I made showing this principle in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpkUnUqMo8U