Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on RSAs...

ES13Raven

I have a few newbie questions on RSAs:

1. Glock says the Gen4 "dual recoil spring assembly noticeably reduces the felt recoil while simultaneously increasing the life span of the assembly." - is this true over the Gen3?

2. I have read that a lot of shooters are replacing their Gen4 RSAs with Jager guide rods and ISMI springs. What benefits does this have over the Gen4 RSA?

3. Are Jager Gen4 stainless steel guide rods legal for IDPA SSP under the new rulebook?

4. What spring weights are good for which power factor (9mm)?

5. What else do I need to know about RSAs and springs etc.

Thanks for your time.

I replaced my gen 4 RSA with an aftermarket rod and ISMI spring because it's the only way to run a lighter spring. So the benefit is being able to run different weight springs.

Lighter weight recoil springs = less perceived recoil?

I replaced my gen 4 RSA with an aftermarket rod and ISMI spring because it's the only way to run a lighter spring. So the benefit is being able to run different weight springs.

You are correct. I haven't found a need to try a lighter spring, I'm still running the stock gen 4 spring. I run 124 gr loads at 130-132 power factor. Good cycling and ejection for me. The dual spring lightens the recoil feel for me. I noticed this when I first shot a G26, it didn't feel like it recoiled much for a smaller gun.

The Jager is allowed under the new rules, below is from the allowed list of rules:

Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier

than stainless steel

Edited by dee loo

You are correct. I haven't found a need to try a lighter spring, I'm still running the stock gen 4 spring. I run 124 gr loads at 130-132 power factor. Good cycling and ejection for me. The dual spring lightens the recoil feel for me. I noticed this when I first shot a G26, it didn't feel like it recoiled much for a smaller gun.

Thanks. I have been shooting a Glock 17 Gen4 with Atlanta Arms 147gr which is supposed to be 130pf. I haven't had any issues with the stock Gen4 RSA, but if a Gen3 setup with light spring will reduce my recoil - I'm all for that.

Yes, but you can't go too light. I shoot a G35 and run a 15lb spring. I tried lighter (13lb maybe?) but it wouldn't lock up reliably. I am shooting major PF so i don't think a 13lb would have worked anyway.

Yes, but you can't go too light. I shoot a G35 and run a 15lb spring. I tried lighter (13lb maybe?) but it wouldn't lock up reliably. I am shooting major PF so i don't think a 13lb would have worked anyway.

Will a 13# spring work well for shooting 147gr 9mm that is 130pf?