Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

460 Rowland conversion

No.343

I built a 629 .44 Auto Mag for bowling pins. It uses cut down .308 brass on .45 moon clips. It shoots 300 gr. bullets at 915 fps. That's 274.5 power factor. Should make major regardless of ambient temps. Just a little less than Mike C's .45 load. I've shot that one a lot in years past and it shows no signs of giving up.

Good god man! 280 PF, I wouldn't have thought a 625 would be conducive to such pressures or are we talking something a little meatier than standard 45 acp

Actually, it was a Model 25-2, but I shot plenty of pins with that load--particularly when I knew we would be shooting heavy or waterlogged pins, or shooting off wood-topped pin tables. My load involved a rather generous quantity of Unique powder, but plain old mixed .45 ACP range brass. Never had any pressure signs, and I still have the gun and it works just fine.

I built a 629 .44 Auto Mag for bowling pins. It uses cut down .308 brass on .45 moon clips. It shoots 300 gr. bullets at 915 fps. That's 274.5 power factor. Should make major regardless of ambient temps. Just a little less than Mike C's .45 load. I've shot that one a lot in years past and it shows no signs of giving up.

Sounds like the old .44 JAG concept of yore.

I have had my 625-3 rechambered for the 460 Rowland.

I do not believe I have ever loaded my Rowland Cases past 45 Super much if any at all.

The main reason they came up with the 460 Rowland from what I have read, is to keep 45 Super ammunition out of 1911's not set up to handle the hot ammunition.

As I have a very nice Custom 1911 Colt, I do not hot load any 45acp or 45 Super ammunition. The 460 Rowland will not chamber in the 1911, so no problem getting the wrong ammo in it.

My understanding is you basicly have 3 case thicknesses for 45acp. (Starline)

45 acp is light weight brass.

45+P is heavier made brass in the web area.

45 Super is the same brass is 45 Win Mag only shorter.

460 Rolland is 45 Win Mag brass only shorter.

Bob