Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for gun model neutral drils to do the next 2 months

Nimitz

So I ordered a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow from CZC today which should be ready in Nov. since I'm moving away from the G34 I wanted to spend my live fire training over the next 2 months focusing on things that it doesn't matter what type of gun you shoot.

The first thing that comes to mind are shot calling drills since learning to call your shots has nothing to do with the type of gun you own. I would assume movement drills would be ok as we'll since you are focused on entries and exits, transitions, etc.

Anything else?

I know some of you are thinking it doesn't matter -- just keep training the same. However, I've spent the Last 2 months going back and focusing on the fundamentals of shooting at speed where the uniqueness of my particular gun does play a role and i'd prefer not to continue to train habits I'll need to unlearn if my time could be spent on some aspect of shooting where the specific make doesn't matte.

Of course, I could just be over thinking this whole thing ... If so, feel free to tell me so ...

The only two factors that I can think over that hurt you swapping guns is the trigger (not that big of a deal) and the grip angel/ shape/ size which affects your index.

I think you can continue to practice as normal. Then do a lot of work on leaning your new index when your new gun arrives.

Edited by Chuckie45

I'm not sure what you mean by non-specific gun drills. But you might try shooting on the move (moving forward, backward, and laterally... check your footwork) the gun will already be in the hand so the draw mechanics are non-specific. Another could be weak/strong hand... make sure the sights are on target when the trigger is pressed. Reload drills... the mag wells are similar enough... get the old one out and the new one in without breakibng target focuss.

Just some thoughts. But, regular practice is good. You may be overthinking the thing. Running your regular draw/shoot practice is a good thing.