Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a .45 Gold Team be converted to a 9mm?

ViperSnipe

Well the Gold Team is what I have. Here is the deal, I am looking to shoot USPSA with it and I feel that the .45 is a bit to big (and $$) and not real sure where else to go with it. I would ask people more in the know what might be best to do.

I am also not sure what a long slide or standard even is.

Thanks for any input!

V-S

Your .45 Gold Team fits into the Open division, but you will be at a capacity disadvantage to the 9mm/38 shooters (13 rounds vs 23 in a 140mm mag). I suggest you get all set up and shoot with what you've got before you go crazy buying new parts. You could easily get a .40 long slide conversion and have a very competitive Limited gun.

They should be labeled in KG which can be converted to lbs for comparison to those available at Wolff (gunsprings.com).

Viper, you said you want to shoot in the USPSA with this gun.

Before you buy anything, take a look at the different divisions in that competition ( production , limited 10, limited, open class ),

so that you do not waste your money building something that is not allowed in certain classes.

Example, I'm almost positive no matter what you do to this Gold Custom, you will not be able to shoot production division with it.

If you choose to shoot Limited or Limited 10, than you may want to look at a 40 top end for the gun, as it would seem that is the caliber of choice for those divisions.

The best of luck.

Example, I'm almost positive no matter what you do to this Gold Custom, you will not be able to shoot production division with it.

If you were to get a standard 9mm conversion, convert to DA and remove the mag well, you might get a hassle at Nationals, but since it would be almost identical, yet technically inferior to the Stock II (let's not even get started with the new, cone barrel Stock III which is basically a DA Limited with added weight at on the frame...), I bet you could shoot it at the local level all day long.

Production (practically, but not technically), L10, Limited, and Open.

kneelingatlas, You are probably right about the local matches, but if he ever wants to take it to the next level, it might be best to be within the rules so as not to get hassled at the door, especially after travel expenses. But everyone needs to make that decision for themselves when it comes to what their intentions are with their guns, maybe competitions, and especially enjoying life.

I say do what you would like to do, have fun and shoot the barrel out of whatever you are playing with.

Best Regards to everyone here.

thank you for the insight, yes my eyes got bigger than my common sense when I bought this gun. I wanted to get something I could hand down to my son that would be nice.

Presently I am shooting production with a 9mm Tanfog polymer and it is doing just fine so far, could use a little trigger work though.

May just save up and get another one, now understanding more of the rules. Ah well live and learn. Still a fine gun though!

Just got the C-more sight base and waiting on the sight now for it!

Read and learn grasshopper...........

V-S

You're not in too bad a position. Once you get your .45 GT all set up for Open you can shoot some matches with it, see if you like the dot and if so convert it to a 9mm/38 upper for minimal cost over what you could sell your .45 conversion for if you so chose. If you didn't like Open, you could find a .45 Stock II barrel and make a nice L10 setup out of it.

Hell, I even have a 9mm GT upper I might sell you one day...