Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Small Rifle Primers OK for Revolver Loads

Sam38

I just loaded up a batch of 40 S&W for my S&W 610, using small rifle primers. I use SRP for all my IPSC loads (38 Super and 40 S&W) and haven't had a problem.

But I'm getting misfires when I shoot this ammo from my revolver. My buddy tells me the SRP are thicker/harder than SPP. Is this true and would it be the cause of the misfires? All the primers on the misfired rounds show good hits, but no bang!

I'm going to switch to SPP and see if that fixes the problem but if anyone has some technical information I'd certainly appreciate it.

DVC,

Sam38

Hi Sam38.

Your buddy is right, the SRP have thicker or harder caps, that's why you get misfires in the revo.

Revo's need a softer primer to ignite reliably and this is especiallly true if you are using lighter hammer springs. I only use Federal primers in my tuned Smith&Wesson.

I also wonder (Guy Neil? Patrick?) if using SR primers in light pistol loads is a good idea? My thinking is, that with low pressure loads with the thicker/tougher rifle primers, there won't be enough gas pressure to properly seal the primer cup "walls" to the primer pocket...allowing gases to leak thru (and possible etch/errode the breech face?)

I always used the Winchester Small Pistol primers, never encountered any probs. I went to the Federal no. 100, 'cause they're cheaper overhere, no probs in IPSC loads whatsoever!

In my SV Bianchi I only use Fed no.100 because there's not much energy in my hammer, Fed. never failed. :)