Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm load for Production using Bullseye

paltik

I've found 4.2 of Bullseye to be the threshold. You may need more or less, depending on how long and fast your barrel is. But, there may be problems:

9mm can be touchy about crimp, and 9mm with lead even more so. If you over-crimp, accuracy suffers. Crimp as little as you can get away with, and still not have feeding problems. Do not use crimp to prevent bullet set-back, do that with a proper diameter belling stem.

9mm, lead bullets and Bullseye can be a problem accuracy-wise. I have some guns that will tumble lead bullets with Bullseye. Others shoot it fine. The only solution I found (and I tried everything) was to go to a slower powder. By the time I'd moved slower in burn rate to WW-231, the problem went away.

If the variables work out for you, the combination can be very accurate.

Patrick wrote: "9mm can be touchy about crimp, and 9mm with lead even more so. If you over-crimp, accuracy suffers. Crimp as little as you can get away with, and still not have feeding problems. Do not use crimp to prevent bullet set-back, do that with a proper diameter belling stem."

Excellent reply; all I can add is this: w/ a fast powder like bullseye, you need to test for & prevent set back. Do not bother w/ the so-called "bench test" (pushing the bullet against a bench). Old wives tale that is.

Instead, load a dummy round, measure OAL, load it into the Tanfoglio mag & rack the slide HARD. Then eject onto a SOFT surface like a couch & re-measure. More than .05 set back (shorter) & you might consider using a Lee brand U or undersize resizing die (under $20 direct by calling Lee - as in on the telephone; its not on their site). Try LESS bell 1st - could also solve the problem.

I would personally go to a 147 (much less perceived recoil than a 124) & switch to inexpensive plated bullets.

Heres the link to Alliant powder data:

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_f...etdescr=125%20L

Heres more good data:

http://www.reloadammo.com/9mloads.htm

I have to mostly agree with the suggestions above. I have had good luck with Unique and 147 grain lead bullets. Here are the reasons I like this combo:

1) Its impossible to double charge. A double load of Unique won't fit in a 9mm case.

2)The lighter lead bullets, 125, 115 etc, show poor accuracy and tend to lead barrels when pushed over 1000 fps.

3) I chose the 147 grain lead truncated cone because it only has to go 850 fps to make minor. At this velocity lead bullets leave very little lead making accuracy better and this makes cleaning the barrel easier.

YMMV,

Keith