Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's with the new shape on the DMW Speedbar?

CJW

I had to remove some material from my M2 forearm when I installed the first one. I just ordered a replacement for it and got this thing with a tiny little triangle nub where it is supposed to go under the forearm. Now, granted, I kind of boogered it up the first time around and took a little too much material off, but this new shape slips in and out through the notch I cut without me even loosening the mag tube. I swapped it to my g/f's M2, which hasn't been scooped out, and it is still too lose—it actually rides up a little out of the seam between receiver and forearm.

Is it no longer possible to get the Speedbar with a full "tang" (for lack of a better word)?

The problem is even with the "full tang" version it still wasn't long enough to not get pulled out if you snagged it and they were prone to falling out. the "new design" is even worse in this respect in my opinion...which we all know about opinions! :) The orriginal speed bar was made by a guy who used to shoot S.O.F. and the DMW is a copy of that.

There are two cures for this!

1: There is a way you can tighten up the DMW "speed bar" and that is bed it to your forearm. grease everything up real well and degrease the forearm real well and mix up some epoxy and put some on the forearnm and then install the whole mess VERY CAREFULLY so the epoxy only beds in the DMW speed bar. This will sometimes make them tight enough. The orriginal speed bar was made by a guy who used to shoot S.O.F. and the DMW is a copy of that.

2: There is a better bolt closing tab available. It has 3/4" of over lap in the tab area and is radiused to match the magazine tube. It is made out of 201 Stainless Steel and is .030 thick so it doesn't need the bend down the center of the "bar" to make it stiff enough to work, and it is a couple of bucks cheaper than the DMW. These are big with the Duck Hunting crowd. Here are a couple of pictures for you.

post-1176-0-26145200-1376510464_thumb.jppost-1176-0-91824100-1376510747_thumb.jp

The nice thing about these types of designs is there is no drilling or tapping of the bolt release button, which weakens the heck out of the weld that holds it on, You can custom fit them like you did or just slide it under the forearm and go.

Kurt, option 2 looks ideal! I certainly don't like the idea of slathering epoxy anywhere on my shotgun. :) Is there a part name or a link to that stainless bolt release tab you can share?

I'll zap you a P.M. This is the best one I have found, and run them on all my Benelli,s, but they are made by a friend of mine and I don't want to get in trouble for doing "sales" on here.