Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Rifle

bornhunter04

I have not shot heavy metal outside of club matches for fun when a few buddies agree to take out their .308's and .45's. I did want a heavy metal capable rifle however I also wanted it to do double duty as a patrol rifle at work so I went with the SCAR 17 which I love so far. I have gotten it down to 1.38 moa with 178 grain Amax reloads. Its reliable and I know its one of the most tested rifles currently used in the military. I had some bad luck early on with some Armalite AR10's that soured me on the AR10 platform for a time. Although now I would love to have a JP in .308.
Pat

• 2 months later...

+1 on SCAR 17. Go all in!

Its very lightweight, relatively short overall, very effective muzzle brake, easy to manipulate, has shit loads of rail space, very accurate for a battle rifle, looks bad ass... and yea, it is simply amazing to shoot.

One negative is that SCARs are hard on brass. Mine leaves dings near the mouth of every case it ejects. They are still reloadable. I just don't like it.

I'm changing to heavy and just built up my new rifle. I'm a lefty which was quite a kink, until I played with the S&W M&P10, 100% ambi, even the bolt release. Absolutely love it, bought and built. Just waiting on my scope, need to finish paying for it.

SW MP10, 18" 5R barrel, PWS brake, Midwest floating handguard, PEPR mount with a Burris MTAC for now ( Larue mount and Leupold VX6 1-6x on lay-away), Magpul pistol and vertical grip.

7b2.JPG