Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old 'new' guy from Florida

Dan000

Hello to all from the east coast of Florida. just joined forum today, never shot any type of competition but was encouraged by a range officer friend at my local range to check into it and start competing. Only shot indoor/outdoor ranges at paper. still don't know if I will get the 'courage or nerve' to compete but have desire. looking forward to consuming some of this experienced info and always nice to make new friends.

welcome!

you should start doing matches. don't think of it as competition for the first many matches... just shoot and have fun. remember to not worry about time but only accuracy and engaging all the targets. Speed will come later.

good luck

Yeah, what's great about this sport, is you can choose how competitive you want to be. Lots of folks shoot at matches just for some exercise, variety, and personal challenge. Others are vying for the national title. There lies a spot in there for anyone. This is because you shoot individually, not head to head or team on team like other sports, even golf. When you are up to shoot, within the rules, you OWN the stage. Be safe, shoot the way you want (USPSA exclusive attribute), and have fun.

I have a few pistols I was thinking to try. My first choice would be my Beretta Cougar 9mm with Burris RedDot sight. Then I just acquired a P226 that feels great in my hand and aims well. I have not shot it too much, less than a 100 rounds. I also have a 92FS Inox, 2001, unfired, but that too is about to change. Any recommendations of which one? I also have a PX4 and a Remington R1S 45, but those don't seem like the type I would feel comfortable using. I am near the Kennedy Space Center.

What firearm do you shoot ? :cheers:

Oooops, did that backwards. Learned something already, lol.

Two recommended clubs in the local area:

Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club USPSA matches are on the 3rd Saturday, and the Steel Challenge matches on the 1st Saturday.

Also Volusia Hunt Club has a 1st Saturday USPSA Match put on by the Space Coast Practical Shooters, and a 4th Sunday USPSA match by the Volusia Club. They also have a steel challenge match on the 2nd Saturday.

Both these clubs are about 45 minutes from Cape Canaveral, and they have some really good people who will help you out.

BTW - Steel Challenge matches are a great way to start out and get into the sport and would be my recommended first match. Any of the guns you mentioned would be fine for steel challenge. Just bring what you got, a safe holster, about 200 rounds of ammo, and an open mind. It is a boat load of fun.

Edited by Bamboo