Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with reloads in STI Sentry

Pitt Bull

Just bought a STI Sentry in .45 acp. Tried my usual load ( a 200 grain semi wadcutter loaded to 1.25 OAL) . I never have a problem with my other 4 1911's and this load but they have traditional non ramped barrels. The Sentry has a ramped barrel. The bullets would feed but during the cycling it feels like it has a little hitch. Also when racking the slide to charge the gun it doesn't want to go into battery easily all the time but will go in and fire. Any suggestions on how tweak the bullet to make the load run smoothly?

Edited by Pitt Bull

It's difficult to provide a cut and dried answer, and I think it really depends on the specific profile of your SWC bullet. The 48th edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook suggests a COAL of 1.161" for one style 200 gr. SWC and a COAL of 1.235" for a different style 200 gr. SWC.

Being unable to compare your bullet to the ones in the Lyman manual, I think would load up a few dummy rounds that are incrementally shorter than your current load (perhaps in .005" increments) and see how they feel/feed when cycling them through your pistol. If a specific COAL seems to be an improvement, I would load up a few to that length and try them in the pistol.

Don't forget that when COAL is reduced, pressure increases if the powder charge is kept the same!