Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder: IMR 700X

edair

Yes, I just loaded some 147g TC bullets over 2.9 grains @ 1.1" for a steel match tonight. I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet, but I'm thinking ~125pf.

I'm not a big fan of 700X, but I didn't have time to work up a load, so I just used a book load with a powder I had available. The last time I loaded 700X is was with 125 grain plated bullets and it was pretty harsh; I prefer Unique.

Yes, I just loaded some 147g TC bullets over 2.9 grains @ 1.1" for a steel match tonight. I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet, but I'm thinking ~125pf.

I'm not a big fan of 700X, but I didn't have time to work up a load, so I just used a book load with a powder I had available. The last time I loaded 700X is was with 125 grain plated bullets and it was pretty harsh; I prefer Unique.

Currently loading 125gr. lead bullets with Unique and I like it but, I have a lot of 700X on hand that I used to use for light trap loads.

I used it for a fair bit while, liked it at the time; that was a few years back when ANY powder was a score!

I think I went thru about 3-4lbs of it. Then I discovered Clays :)

Not looking to going back to 700X. It works, but there are many many powders that are better than that.

If 700X is all you got, or got it on really cheap - do it.

I am currently loading my 9's with: 4.1 grs. Unique, 125 gr. Precision FP (lead), OAL 1.13, PF about 130. Although, I haven't checked the PF recently after shortening the OAL a touch. I would like to switch from Unique to 700X just for the reason I have a good supply of 700X from my trap shooting days.