Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 and 110 Vmaxes

usp45ss

I finally got ahold of some Hornady 110 vmaxes to load for my 308. What COAL are you guys loading to? Also, how much crimp are you using?

I loaded up a few at around 2.75. I haven't got to get to the range to test them out yet, but I dropped one on the concrete floor accidentally. It deformed the neck since the bullet is only about halfway into the neck of the case. I suspect that won't hold up well feeding in my JP rifle. It is once fired LC brass so that shouldn't be a problem.

I am by no means experienced at loading for a 308 BUT I did load 200 of the 110 Vmax and shot the He Man Championship match last weekend. I loaded them to 2.750. I was also concerned about the amount of bullet in the case but I had no problems with that load. No crimp.

Can I ask where you found the bullets? I cannot find any now.

With all the short projectiles, just have to seat deep enough to work. I've sometimes ended up with oal's a little shorter than I would prefer. I think there is a little trial and error depending on exact bullet and platform. I've used the 110 Vmax, 110 spire points, some .30 carbine round-nose bullets around 100-110 grs, plenty of 125's and 135's. Different bullet profiles will need different seating depths/coal's to run right. As long as the bullets don't move around under recoil in the mag, I wouldn't worry ab exact amount of crimp.

Edited by wgj3