Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slam or bump?

trodrig

Hey folks! I've been having random doubles with my rifle. Usually from the bench, occasionally when shooting in a match freestyle and 2 times in a match shooting prone. At first I thought the doubles were bump fires caused by me not hooking the trigger properly. This past weekend I went out and shot again paying special attention to how I was manipulating the trigger but still had doubles on 2 separate occurrences. I was able to retrieve the brass from both occurrences. In each case, one piece of brass had a strange look to where the firing pin impacted the primer and the other piece from the double had the normal firing pin dent. Here's a pic of the two pieces of brass which I believe were the second shots from each double. The one on the left looks like the firing pin just barely dented the primer. The one on the right looks as though brass from the primer was popped back into the firing pin hole. Could it be that these occurred as the result of a slam fire and not a trigger bounce double?

The rifle is an 18" JP CTR-02 with all of the standard equipment (LMOS BCG/Buffer, JP spring, JP trigger and fire control group, etc). Gas block has been adjusted to just lock the bolt back on an empty mag with this load. Brass is getting thrown about 5 feet from the shooting position. Loads are:

1) 55gr Hornady FMJ-BT, 25.4gr TAC, WSR Primer

2) 75gr Hornady BTHP, 24.8gr TAC, WSR Primer

No pressure signs are evident on any of the rounds that were fired without the occurrence of the double. If this is the result of a slam fire, what can be done to rectify the situation?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66863609@N08/9211768500/

Thanks for your help!

I had that exact same problem a few weeks ago. What I found is that I had WAY to much lube on the firing pin and firing pin channel. I cleaned it up real good and that solved the problem. Started with the simplest thing first and fortunately that was it.

Jimmy

Trod I don't shoot as fast a you do so I don't have that problem! LOL. Actually I chimed in to tell you about the hardest primer I have found, the Mag Tech small rifle, it has a D on it. Those sukers are hard, make CCI look like tin foil.

I've not seen you in a while, you need to come down to San Antonio more often, I don't go to Austin much any more, maybe its those love letters from the Toll Road company, crap it cost more for the toll than the match.

MarkCo and MPeltier are two top notch guys like the EF Hutons of multigun, when these guy speak you learn somthing!

Edited by CocoBolo