Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decapping pins, whats included?

I just finished pulling 100 rounds of .223 because I sized them wrong, and what I'd like to do is resize the primed cases. Looking at how to do this I see that I can unscrew the decapping pin from my Dillon sizing die, but I don't see a way to unscrew just the pin and leave the neck sizer.

So the next thought is to take a dremel and cut off most of the decapping pin so the live primer stays in the case. If I order spare decapping pins do they include the neck sizer? Or is there a way to separate just the pin and leave the neck sizer?

Thanks razorfish for the link, but page 2 of that manual is referring to pistol dies. I'm talking about the .223 sizing die which has an expander ball (I incorrectly called this the 'neck sizer' in my original post).

Here is a picture that will hopefully illustrate what I'm talking about. I've unscrewed the decap pin from the sizing insert and you can see that the expander ball is left with the decap pin. Now I can put the insert back in the .223 size die but I won't get the neck expanded like I want.

JYCCv1fl.jpg

So my question: is there a way to separate the decap pin from the expander ball so that I can get neck expansion but no decapping? Or, is the expander ball integral to the decap pin and if I order spare decap pins will they all have the expander ball?

Sorry about that... I see what you mean. I was under the impression that it just unscrewed but it appears I was wrong. (I've never broke a rifle decap/ball expander). I looked at the Dillon Precision site and the decap pin is $3.99. Expensive compared to pistol dies, but I suppose it's not too bad considering the added function of the expander ball.

From the Dillon website, "The depriming assembly includes a carbide expander ball for "squeak-free," effortless neck expansion. This expander ball is located in the middle of the depriming stem to take advantage of superior initial leverage for easier extraction."

I suppose another decap pin is only $3.99 from Dillon so modifying one wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Of course I would wait to see what others have done in this situation before modifying my decap pin.

Expensive compared to pistol dies, but I suppose it's not too bad considering the added function of the expander ball.

Of course I would wait to see what others have done in this situation before modifying my decap pin.

The price premium over the pistol decapping pin makes me think the expander ball is included but I would like confirmation. Someone on here has to have ordered the pins and can chime in..

The other thing is since I've already sized these cases once with the expander ball in place, the only thing I've done now is collet-pulled the seat bullet I'm wondering if I can get away with resizing but no expander ball..I'll try a single case and see how it goes.

You still need the expander ball, sizing the case will cause the neck to pinch down. (Go ahead and try one if you wish, however note that you may not be able to put the expander into the case without crunching the case.) BTDT

You still need the expander ball, sizing the case will cause the neck to pinch down. (Go ahead and try one if you wish, however note that you may not be able to put the expander into the case without crunching the case.) BTDT

Very nice to know thank you! Definitely dont need to validate that on my own.