Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to finish shotgun stock set?

I tried to paint my stock set on my shotgun (Win SX2). I sanded, primed and painted it but it didnt stick very well and is scratching off. Any suggestions on where to send it to or a better way to do it?

I think part of the problem is the coating that Win puts on the stocks from the factory.

I assume plastic stock. If not, the just use linseed oil finish.

For plastic, here's what I do to AR 15 hardware. Sand at 220 to rough it up, clean with acetone. Wear gloves to make sure it is really clean.

Apply a couple of light base coats with Krylon Plastic paint. Get it at any Mart store. Sand between coats and wipe with alcohol because acetone will take the paint off. Now paint with the color you like. Multiple light coats.

Paint will pop off under hard use. At least it does on our work guns. Even Bake on Moly Reisin comes off tho that takes more punishment. The bake on finishes are better but more difficult to apply and touch up. We use Norells bit there are others.

In the end I dcided Krylon is good enough for a working gun. It breaks up the black color enuf for Camo and is easy to touch up when needed. I wouldn't do it to a show piece, but I don't have any barbecue guns anyway.

Hope his helps.