Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions on US Optics SN-4

Religious Shooter

Chris,

not sure who your comments were directed at, but I will take a stab at clearing up your confusion.

Dot only or dot / circle reticles by nature of their design are limited in their applicability. They are really only accurate when you can superimpose the dot over a target and hit it. Bullet ballistics, distance and wind all affect the path of the bullet and can render a dot less than fully useful as the distance increases. For those who have the desire and / or need to hit a target beyond point and shoot distances, additional features are required.

Some of the newer reticle designs have attempt to blend dot type functionality along with the abilities to range targets and take the ballistic path of a bullet in account. By adding these additional features, the utility and usefullness of the reticle increases dramatically.

In the case of the Valdada CQB reticle, all three functions exist: the dot and horseshoe can be used for CQB / close-in distances, the circles and the horseshoe itself can be used for ranging and the mil lines are used for holdover.

With this new JP reticle, based on the attached diagram, I can deduce the following functions:

point and shoot with the dot and / or horseshoe ( some are calling this design a doughnut)

ranging with the horseshoe and the stadia lines

holdover with the stadia lines

wind adjustment with the varying width stadia lines.

I do not have inside knowledge of the reticle design, but am basing the above on analysis of the reticle diagram.

The ACOG TA-11F has built in holdover withs it stadia lines and ranging with the circle. It is basically a CQB scope, but it has additional functionality because of its stadia lines.

These scopes are not designed and sold to be used only on AR-15's, some of which are used by people with very limited needs (point and shoot stuff which is the basis of the majority of 3 gun shooting stages). They are designed to appeal and sell to a broad base of people with different needs. They are used on .223's, .308's and other calibers which need any or all of the additional functionality. The Valdada company was approached last year by some members of the US Army shooting team who loved the CQB reticle because it helped them fulfill their current MOUT mission in Asia. This mission could involve a 10 yd distance fire fight with a quick transition to a 400 yard shot. They asked for a few design changes, some of which will be incorporated into the Gen 2 version. Once there are working models next year, we plan on supplying this team with a few scopes and see how it goes for them.

The point is: scope companies are attempting to put together a product which fulfills a very difficult mission. This requires the ability to function in CQB environments and allow the user to transition out to distances where ballistics, wind and ranging are required. I expect to see more designs come out over the next year or so as concept becomes more well known. Companies for years relied on the dot concept to market to customers. Now, companies are moving past that attempting to fulfill multiple needs in one reticle package.

The long struggle towards the ultimate scope continues - and we are not quite there.

That is an interesting reticle but I don't think it's quite right either. IMHO the BDC should have built in compenstation for a 10 mph crosswind (3 or 9 o'clock)at the end of each hashmark appropriate for each range. So the end of the hashmark at 400 meters would be the aiming point for a 400 meter target when there is a 10 mph crosswind. So my "ladder" would look upside down compared to that JP SN4 reticle.

Kelly,

the ultimate scope will never happen. Peoples tastes are different enough that what works for some, won't for others. Think back to all the opinions around the table at the Valdada booth at RM3G last year. So, scope companies try to appeal to the largest audience while turning off the fewest. Somebody will always be unhappy.

I agree with you on the hash marks are better off looking like a christmas tree. As you said, that allows for holdover and windage using the same hash mark. I think the intent of the varying widths of this reticle's hash marks were for range finding purposes primarily.

Cactus,

I agree that the dot or circle dot are limited in application. Just like the mil dot is. Closest thing to the optimal do all is the new HV. You can make your range card for whatever load you're using and the dot is good at true CQB distance. Best choice is really a dot scope on the handguard and a real scope on the flattop.