Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A caution about the Dawson tool-less magazine extensions

kcobean

First off, I have to say that I love these things. They're durable, reliable and easy to use.

But a caution about them....because of the way they tool the edges of them, the extension does not stop the mag's upward travel like the stock baseplates do. The result is that during hard insertions, the rear edge of the magazine strikes the ejector and over time will peen it.

Here are a couple of pictures of my XDm40 5.25's ejector after about 1 season using the Dawson extensions:

ejector1.jpg

ejector2.jpg

I don't know how much more peening will occur over time or if this is it, but just wanted to point it out.

Yeah, I'm sure you could grind the left side of the rear of the magazine down to ensure clearance. Not sure what it would do to the rigidity of the lip on the left side though. Maybe nothing.

Are you running the Dawson Ice Magwell on your gun also? I know the factory mag base pads won't work with the Dawson Ice Magwell but the tool-less base pads fit perfect. I've been running both this season but I've only done a handful of matches. It seems like the Ice Magwell would help stop the condition you are showing. I didn't notice any wear on mine yet but I'll certainly watch for it. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW- If you don't have Dawson's Magwell yet, I highly recommend it. It makes reloads even smoother and faster.

Timmy,

I am running the Pistol Gear operator magwell. I like it because it doesn't require send in/modification of the backstrap. No idea if the Dawsom magwell prevents this, but if it does they should probably advertise that fact.

• 1 month later...

Timmy,

I am running the Pistol Gear operator magwell. I like it because it doesn't require send in/modification of the backstrap. No idea if the Dawsom magwell prevents this, but if it does they should probably advertise that fact.

I was on the phone last week with Dawson to order the ICE magwell and the tool-less basepads, and I was informed Dawson now sends a modified backstrap with the basepads. The gal on the phone asked what size I wanted (#2), and told me they'd be sending the modified backstrap WITH the basepads. No need to send mine in! Although it does require a modified backstrap...

Now, time will tell if I peen the ejector, but because of this post I will certainly keep an eye out.