Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People in the shooting sports

Austin Hemphill

I have been very busy lately finishing up my degree, and have not had the time to really relax and think.  Recently I went to tour and interview at a mine about 2 hours away and used the drive to think about where my life is heading and what has put me on the path I am on.  I had gotten the info about the job from a fellow shooter, and at the interview I learned that he talked about me rather well, and made an impression with the interviewer.  It really blew me away that someone that I hardly knew, and would never had met if it weren't for the sport would do such a thing.  I also remember another shooter that gave me hand when my car broke down after a match.  He stopped and waited with me for the tow truck to arrive in the cold.  As many of us have stated in the past, shooters are the best people in the world.  I truly believe this now, and hope I can give back to  this sport as much as others have given me.  As some of you might know Nevada is a major gold mining state, but has fallen on hard times lately.  Many mines have shut down or dramatically reduced their labor forces.  The prospects looked bleak for me staying in this state, and I had started looking in Canada and overseas.  Now, I have a job in the field I had always wanted and can stay in this state.  This was only possible because of the actions of this shooter going out of his way to give me hand.  Many times I have felt that this sport is merely a way for me to have fun, but now I realize that there really is more to it.  

You know what.  This is the way people used to treat each other way back when...when people liked each other, and we had a sense of community.  With the joy of urbanization, nobody wants to talk to their neighbors any more, so we must find community in our activities.  It's the same way in flying.  You wouldn't believe what fellow pilots will do for one another.  

The world would be a far better place if this type of fraternity caught on.

Take the breathalyser for them?

No, but a couple pilots helped me steal a fire engine and do hotlaps up and down the runway at the last airshow I went to.  Pretty entertaining stuff after six or seven beers.  Of course, some doorknob hanging off the back dropped a champagne bucket and we spent the next 45 minutes trying to find it so nobody sucked it up into their prop...