Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 feed ramp?

lazyeiger

I just finished building a 2011 in 45 acp. Shot it for the first time at the weekend. It shot 50 330g RN FMJ's 3.5g V310 flawlesly. I then tried 230g lead RN and was having feed problems. On closer inspection the lead rounds were hanging up front tp back in the magazine causing the top feeding round to be nose down.

In the process of diagnosing this problem I spent some time looking closly at the feeding cycle and I was suprised to see that the feed ramp in the frame seems to play no role in this? The top round in the magazine is pointed directly to the center of the barrel when it is chambered it doesnt seem to even touch the feed ramp. I was under the impression that the feed ramp is an important part of the cycle what am I missing?

Thanks

Jon

I've heard of this getting fixed with adjusting the back to front gaps on the feed lips....I dont have the numbers for 45 but I know that I have been told a gentle taper from back to front of .005 no more but again that taper is what I was given for 40 not sure if the taper difference would be different for 45

If it was a single stack you would not need a feed ramp. According to STI because of the way the rounds stack in the mag in a 2011 you need a feed ramp. I'm not a gunsmith so I have no idea why other than the actual position of the feed lips & follower vs. the centerline of the bore. Is the bullet profile the same for the 330 & 230? Check and see how the rounds actually sit in the mag on the follower, OAL might have to be adjusted.

Feed lips should be about .410

When you talk about feed lips do you mean at the rear of the magazine, currently they are .405 at the front and .398 at the very rear. the lips at the very front of the magazine are something like .550 I can waggle the round side to side easily, Should they be closed up also?

I shortened the lead rounds to 1.230: OAL and they cycle fine by hand ( without primers and powder) I will see how they work in the real worls at the weekend.

Thanks

Jon