Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Mag Release

Chuck Anderson

My duty gun for years has been a Glock 17 that I fitted with a Glock 21 magazine release. This is the same part that Glock puts into the 34/35 as an extended mag release. Is this setup legal for USPSA and IPSC Production class? I assume that that 34 with the same release would be in USPSA since it is manufactured that way. I also trim the slide release down to almost nothing so that it doesn't interfere with my grip. Do I need to switch parts out to be legal?

Thanks,

Chuck Anderson

Hi Chuck,

As far as IPSC Production Division is concerned, yes, the Glock Extended Magazine Catch (part #1981) is a legal modification because it is offered by the OFM (Glock) as an option on the G17. BTW, as a bit of trivia, the very same item when supplied with a G21 is known as part #1035. Go figure.

However if you "trim the slide release down to almost nothing", that would definitely be an illegal modification under IPSC Production Division rules, hence I urge you to replace it with a standard version.

How about the Heine Straight Eight night sights?

Since Glock offer "night sights" as an option on all their models, the Heine sights are legal for IPSC Production Division provided you don't need to modify the gun to fit them (i.e. if you need to file something, file the sights, not the slide).