Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ranch moons what brass is best?

60crewman

By desecration, I don't mean moderate customization that is still legal for Limited ICORE.

But frickin' Revoman went and cut holes (gag!!) in the barrel of his 6.5" 627! Trust me, he regrets it now.

:goof: HE DID WHAT!!! Yea I could never do that. Pretty hard to go backwards. While the finish will never be original. I can still restore all of mine to almost original. Any plans on Carmonize your safe queen 27-7 ? Ill be happy to pimp it out for you. lol

Now Ty.......what would ever lead you to believe that I have only one safe queen 27-7??? ;)

(03, 62, 96)

Edited by Carmoney

So I just my 627 v comp and a handful of ranch products moon clips what brass seems to work well with the? Thanks for any help.

The W-W nickel cases will provide the tightest fit in Ranch Products moonclips . Starline brass is much too loose in Ranch moonclips for completion use. The Remington and Federal both nickel and brass cases as well as W-W brass are also usable in the Ranch products moonclips. There are also some minor brands which do not have a groove cut at the base of the case and will not work with any moonclip. I use Ranch Products moonclips exclusively in 38 super, 38 Special, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

• 1 month later...

I was unhappy with the TK "Hearthco" clips. They are not true HearthCo clips. TK is cutting his own using a wide variety of specifications, pay a little royalty for using the name (im guessing). Confused myself. I have given him many hundred's of dollars for clips and accessory's. This last go around they were so loose they made the "Ranch look tight" When I brought this to his attention he sent me a handful more, mostly junk with a variety of different cuts. One clip would not accept 8 rounds, the 8th fell in and out. On another few, all of them fell out with a little shake. 3 others all wont take any brass. All sold as Herthco's for Starline brass. 3 had grinder marks on them as if someone took a sander to the clip. Very discouraged none the less. I gave up and went with my floppy Ranch Clips. At least I know what I was in for when it came time to reload. Loose but consistent.

I spoke with Dave Hearth last weekend at the SW regional. He looked at a few I had im my bag and said they were not his specifications, and I should return them to TK. So mad after spending several hundred dollars with him over the last decade I decided I was done and don't intend to do anything further with him. Dave said he should have some for sale at the IRC. Ill wait and get the genuine clips.

Apex Tactical sells Genuine Dave Hearth Clips. Dave is also on here from time to time. PM him and buy direct. Slower than TK but you get the good stuff that is right the first time.

Ty,

Just to set the record straight.

I wish you would have let me know of your problems with my clips and give me a chance to correct the issue,

For the record, I advertise & manufacture HearthCo clips because I have authorization to manufacture & market as such after Dave's inspection may years ago. Dave designs ALL my clips & are attributed to his design on ALL my S/S clips. I prefer to use S/S rather than Blue Steel.

Some clips have been changed over the years to address shooters" needs. Therefore, I have several .38 Super style clips.

Regards,

TK

• 2 weeks later...

So I just my 627 v comp and a handful of ranch products moon clips what brass seems to work well with the? Thanks for any help.

For an ultra tight fit use either the old REM-UMC brass from the 1960's or current Nickel W-W brass. Above all avoid Starline brass as it's too sloppy in Ranch moons. R-O and Federal brass also work but are a bit looser than the old REM-UMC brass or current W-W Nickel cases.