Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different POI with 9mm vs .45

bbbean

I developed some issues with my grip and trigger pull over the winter, and I've been working to correct them. I'm primarily a .45 Single Stack shooter, and when I'm not paying attention or the adrenaline gets too high, I tend to pull my shots low and slightly to the left. I attribute this to poor visual patience, overcompensation for recoil, and grabbing too much trigger guard with my support hand.

This past week, I dug out my 9mm Single Stack, thinking I'd shoot minor in this month's local match. Lo and behold, I still see the tendency to pull to the left if I don't pay attention to my support hand grip, but when I loose focus, I'm throwing shots high.

I've zeroed sights on both guns, and I'm confident that the issue is me, and not the (nearly identical) guns. Any ideas on what could make me drop shots shooting major and throw shots high in minor?

Thanks,

BB

Are the triggers really the same? Especially the "length", I guess it should be as measured from the web of the strong hand. If you are using anything other than your last "pad" on your trigger finger, it is easy to push/pull the gun when pulling the trigger. Have you ever tried different length triggers to see if it makes a difference for you?

Are the triggers really the same? Especially the "length", I guess it should be as measured from the web of the strong hand. If you are using anything other than your last "pad" on your trigger finger, it is easy to push/pull the gun when pulling the trigger. Have you ever tried different length triggers to see if it makes a difference for you?

Both Caspian Trik Triggers (medium flat), trigger pulls within a few ounces of each other. I've played with long and short triggers, curved and flat, and standardized to this trigger on all my 1911s and a medium SVI flat on my Limited guns.

I've zeroed sights on both guns, and I'm confident that the issue is me, and not the (nearly identical) guns. Any ideas on what could make me drop shots shooting major and throw shots high in minor?

Thanks,

BB

This could also be a timing issue (meaning recoil timing as Matt B explains it). If you are used to the timing of the 45 and are setting off the 9mm too early. This could be due to slide velocity and spring rates also.