Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock floor plate issues

landry92

I have an open Glock 22 that I recently built and have been shooting without any issues at all. I recently added taylor freelance brass floor plates to my magazines. They add no capacity, just weight and length. Well the next match came and suddenly I kept having stove pipes, FTF, and other ejection issues.

So I figured my extractor was possibly worn so I installed a brand new extractor, extractor bearing and spring. The first shot I had a jam. So I thought maybe the recoil spring was worn out and may have been causing an issue. I tried a new spring and two different weight springs from my other guns and had no change in the results. I installed my original 13 lb spring and figured the only thing I changed on the gun since the issues began were the new brass floor plates. So the next three stages I shot using factory magazine floor plates that I re-installed on three of my magazines. To my surprise and to others the gun functioned flawlessly. No one including myself could really explain how a floor plate that adds no capacity and has no effect on the magazine spring could cause so many issues. They are the same as factory except heavier and longer.

My only guess is that the added weight for some reason was pulling the magazine just slightly downward and not allowing the magazine to seat fully to the point where the slide would not grab another round or would cause other malfunctions.

Anyone else have this issue or any other explanation?

I assume you have a magwell - what brand? What did you use before, the standard floor plate?

Perhaps the upper edge of the new floor plate is pressing against the magwell. That can keep the mag from fully seating or from seating as well as it did before.

I did not change the mag springs because these floor plates do not change the capacity so there should have been no change in the spring. (At least that is how the manufacturer made it out to be).

I do not have a magwell because I had planned on purchasing one after I installed these brass floor plates but since they gave me so many problems I just took them off and am holding off on the magwell for now.