Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First question, draw related

jte

I'm looking for tips on how to get a better firing grip on the gun while it's in the holster, or maybe if the issue is just my holster. The fingers on my right hand wind up a little more "open" when I draw vs when I just pick the gun up. I get a tighter "wrap" so to speak. The only reason I wonder about the holster is I can feel the belt tunnel hit my finger tip on my right middle finger when I go to wrap my fingers around the grip. I have thought about removing part of the kydex there to get it out of the way.

On the other hand, I have less than one thousand total draws in practice, so I may just need more practice.

One thing to add, the difference is small, but it's something I notice in dry fire. It could all be in my head, as last weekend I was drawing and shooting on a timer, and the sights seemed to be tracking straight up and down, but I'm very new to that and may have been seeing things wrong.

Tips appreciated, thank you.

One of the best things I've found to spot and self-help correct is a Mpg or video of you drawing/shooting. People can "tell" you all day long and it won't register where actually seeing what you are doing can confirm to your eye what you are or are not doing right.

C-class draw to A zone hit=1.5sec.

An old shooter once told me "No match was ever won from the holster" I'll add that they can be lost there by not having a good grip...and dropping the gun.

An old shooter once told me "No match was ever won from the holster" I'll add that they can be lost there by not having a good grip...and dropping the gun.

Thanks for the tip. I better add that I'm not in danger of dropping the gun, the difference in grip is very small. My eyes can't really detect it if I hold the gun in front of my face and look for a difference in finger placement, but my hand can feel it. This is why I'm wondering if it is nothing, or if I really just need more reps.

• 2 months later...

It's fundamentals and basic, but make sure you have a good grip on the firearm before you come out of the holster. I know a lot of times I end up with a weak grip because I'm thinking about coming out of the holster before I've even gripped the gun.

Not all practice is equal. Make every draw perfect, regardless of how fast or slow it is. Over time, it will speed up.

Depending on what you're carrying for (concealed, competition, etc.), a drop and offset like the one made by Blade Tech can help with the grip, if you can afford it (ie you're not carrying concealed).