Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak eyed shooting with long guns

If this topic has been covered anywhere please let me know. I buddy of mine lost his dominate eye in a training accident. Does anyone have any helpful tips or "been there done that knowledge" on managing a long gun with your  weak eye while shooting strong side? He can manage an AR rather well because of it's elevated sites but a standard shotgun is tuff. He has discussed mounting AR type sites on his scattergun. Any other suggestions.

Thanks

I've had some small experience with shooters with long-guns who are cross dominant. My wife is strongly right-handed but left eye dominant. She does not shoot enough to learn to aim with the other eye. I (successfully) taught her to shoot with the other eye by leaning across the stock and aiming with her left eye. This shooter seems to have already learned that with the AR.

For a shotgun it will require a stock with a very low (probably dished) comb. Several stock makers produce such a stock. I've had good service from Wenig Gunstocks.

Cheers

Highpower shooter Bob Jensen of Tucson shot right handed and used his left dominant eye.  He had a special mount made for his Model 70 cross the course rifle that put the front and rear sight in line with his left eye.  It was a completely custom deal.  I'm not sure how it would work with a shotgun.  he might be better off learning to shooting off his weakside.

I'm curious... are there any other methods other than clear tape on your glasses to train the weak eye to do the aiming?  I'm also left eye dominant/right-handed shooter, and would like to try some 3-gunning.

Thanks in advance!

(Edited by Gordo at 10:09 am on Jan. 26, 2003)

When I was younger I couldn't see well out of my right eye so I just started to shoot left handed.  Now that I wear prescribed shooting glasses and know about cross eye dominance I can shoot right or left handed depending on the course of fire.

When I was younger I couldn't see well out of my right eye so I just started to shoot left handed.  Now that I wear prescribed shooting glasses and know about cross eye dominance I can shoot right or left handed depending on the course of fire.

I don't really think there is an answer. I am also left eye dominant / right hander and have to concentrate on keeping my left eye shut  - or miss!

I tried switching to shooting shotgun for 3 gun to my left hand but really confused my loading. I now just accept it and look forward to the advantage on weak handed courses of fire.

DVC

Mike,

When you're shooting shotgun, do you close your left/dominant eye...?  I've been told that's a big no-no... I'm supposed to keep both eyes open.  But up to now that's what I've had to do.

Gordo

(Edited by Gordo at 8:57 am on Jan. 28, 2003)

• 2 weeks later...

Gordo,

Yep, I have to. My left eye is much more dominant and with both eyes open I would miss. I think I tend to squint the left as compared to completely closing it, just to allow the right to the primary to take a rapid string of shots or a snap.

I was thinking of trying to buy a set of shooting glasses that would be stronger in the r eye to make it the dominant one but don't know if this would actually work.

DVC