Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video from my first match, tips?

Hey guys, I shot my first USPSA match at the end of last year and got a little video of it. I have been shooting 3 gun since October, and I'm trying to pick up some extra time/points during the pistol portions so I have been shooting a little more USPSA to help. Any and all tips are welcome, thanks!

On stage 3, my biggest problem was with the first array of paper targets. All of my hits were 'As' except for a shot on the third paper (one of which was a 'C'), I did not know the cost of shooting a 'C' vs and 'A' so I went back and shot it again and then double checked my first target which cost me a bit of time. I now know that 'Alpha-Charlie' is plenty good and to be happy with it and keep going, so I just chalk that mistake up to the learning curve :blush:

This stage (5) the only recommendation that I received was to not stick my pistol through the shooting port.

Judging from the first video, you're shooting Limited (14 shots before the reload). In the second video, there were 15 shots required after you went through the door, but all of them were visible from your last shooting position. Why not take them all from the right hand position and avoid going to the left through the door? That would have saved you some time. I'm not sure what your mag capacity is, but you would have at least 15 in the gun, since your 14 shot strings didn't put you at slide lock.

First person video of a stage run is for showing off to your friends, not breaking down how good/bad you shot the stage. This can only be done effectively with a third person vantage point of you shooting the stage.

From what I seen it looks like a major issue you need to resolve is to stop looking for holes in the targets. Call your shots so you don't have to look for your hits. You waste a lot of time looking for holes.

First person video of a stage run is for showing off to your friends, not breaking down how good/bad you shot the stage. This can only be done effectively with a third person vantage point of you shooting the stage.

From what I seen it looks like a major issue you need to resolve is to stop looking for holes in the targets. Call your shots so you don't have to look for your hits. You waste a lot of time looking for holes.

I was gonna say, the OP has pretty quick splits, but needs to work on speeding the transitions. Are you looking for holes? Trust your eyes.