Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting CZ75-SA 9mm to .40

tortuga

For some reason I am compelled to do this, so I have a few questions.

1. Is it necessary to change the sear cage from a 9mm to a .40 to get the right ejector? I could have sworn I saw the 9MM ejector and .40 ejector listed separately on CZ-USA, but CZ-Custom just lists a sear cage for the CZ75 without reference to caliber.

2. I ordered a hammer/sear kit from CGW, and from what I have read main spring weight is not that big an issue in SA. Unless a stiffer spring affects SA trigger pull by increasing the friction on the sear considerably I'll stay up around 15 lbs. Any comments on that?

Anything else I should think about? I am basically going to take the top off my 75B .40 and swap it with the SA, then use the B frame for a Kadet. Will dink around with sights and such, but mainly interested in the trigger and reliability right now.

Edit:

Wow, just went to visit the new 75BSA (transferred to my FFL, 10 day wait started) and the trigger is horrible, lots of gritty, creepy badness after the initial takeup. I was really surpised as it was much worse than my bone stock 75B .40 . Added a FBL spacer to the order, might as well ditch that as it will be a comp gun only.

Edited by tortuga

The CGW hammer kit will change it completely and I wouldn't even worry about removing the FPB. Schmeky changes the angle of the hammer hooks and removes that camming action right before the trigger breaks removing the creep. There will be a little play but I'd just order CGW short reset package too.

The ejector housings are different. The .40 has a cleance cutout on it . The actual ejector is in the same place.

Mainspring weight affects the trigger pull weight minimally.

The ejector housings are different. The .40 has a cleance cutout on it . The actual ejector is in the same place.

I guess I am confused. The cage from both look identical with the exception of a cut on the top front by the end of the sear spring. The .75B .40 cage has is flat, the 75BSA cage has a cut at the front. Is that the clearance cutout you are referring to?

The pics on the CZCustom site show the tumbler style cages as flat and the D style cages with the cut, with no reference to caliber. Both of the cages shown in the pic are tumbler style.

Edit - I forgot to compare it to the cage on my SP-01 Shadow. Cut in front, matches the 9MM CZ75-SA. The ejector is also different for the 9MM cages, it is the same profile on top but extends down more; if you looked at it head on, the front of the ejector is higher from top to bottom on the 9MM cages.

post-34545-0-16378200-1365974126_thumb.j

Edited by tortuga