Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missouri 124gr LRN Data?

FreeJersey

I have 1000 Missouri 124gr LRN bullets (brinell 18), all I can get right now. I have Titegroup, W231, and Clays available to me. They will be for a S&W Pro Series 1911 (9mm), w/14lb recoil spring.

Looking for a nice soft shooting load for steel, no leading and minimal smoke. There doesn't seem to be much info out there for a decent load. Any suggestions?

4.1 of 231 has worked for me, does 1032fps out of a 5". Clays hasn't been good for me in 9mm, 231 works fine.

1.125 OAL?

I honestly don't know. I seat until the shoulder of the bullet just protrudes beyond the case. Maybe .030" or .040" of lead past the shell case. Has always worked well for me with any type of bullet in any pistol caliber. The BIG exception being .40 major that needs to load long. I don't use a load combo like that for that reason.

Hope that helps.

Seems the profile of these bullets is very different from the Extremes I have. The Extremes are loaded to 1.15 and chamber just fine. The Missouri's hve to pushed down to 1.015 to chamber cleanly in my gun.

20130331_114943_resized.jpg

I just pushed this one in by hand for a size comparison.

20130331_114457_resized.jpg

Edited by FreeJersey

Wow. You know some one else may chime in here but that looks like a chamber issue to me. Not necessarily a bad chamber just maybe on the very tight side. How does it shoot like that? Have you tried it? Appears that the amount of bullet in the case is the same as the Extreme's. Should be a safe load case volume wise.

Just texted a buddy I remembered had that prob. He says he loaded to 1.086, correction, in a conversion barrel in a g35.

His Springfield XD runs 1.135 no prob. Hope that helps.

ETA I'll email him this thread see if he can chime in.

Edited by kevinj308

No, I have not tried them yet. The length spooked me a bit so I came here to see if others had the same issue. Amount of bullet in the case is the same. Maybe I'll try a light load (3.8?) of W231 to test it out.

The Missouri's are fat in the ogive. Depends on your chamber regarding how short you need to go.

I'd partially size a case and push a Missouri in then hand chamber in your barrel. Take another .005 or .010

off of that and there is your new OAL.

I've shot thousands of these and they have always worked well.

Take care,

Dave

Thanks for the help guys. I got some loaded up today, after being resized, seated, and cripmed, they would almost go at 1.10. Dropped the OAL to 1.08 and they chambered great in my barrel. Will get a chance to test them out tomorrow.