Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BDC Scopes

Vipers

Just a quick question about these types of scopes. I see that most are scaled to the 55 grain as compared to others. Is this a problem? Anything special you need to do to find zero or use higher grain? Thanks

It is not necessarily a big problem, especially for typical 3 gun distances. I recommend first to find the moa or mil amount of drop for each stadia line in your scope, and then to run the numbers for your load through a ballistic calculator (such as http://www.handloads.com/calc/, many others available), and then finally doing some testing on the range to confirm what the calculator says.

For instance, I was previously using a USO SN4 with the Lund reticle. Its calibrated for the 69gr SMK @ 2850fps, but I found that my 55gr load matched up very closely out to 400 yards.

Just a quick question about these types of scopes. I see that most are scaled to the 55 grain as compared to others. Is this a problem? Anything special you need to do to find zero or use higher grain? Thanks

You just changer your initial zero range. For example if its set for a faster bullet at 100 zero it with the 77 grainers at 200 and your 300, 400,500, 600 yard marks will line up. This is a generalization and you will need to get the actual reticle specs and chrono your load to find out for sure.

Pat