Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL with S&B Brass?

Hello All,

I recently aquired a new Hornady LNL and I've set it up next to my 650. On my first run, I noticed that about every 5-10 rounds, the brass would hang hard on the Ez-ject where the head of the brass would try to ride over the ez-ject nub. The brass I was using was all S&B. I inspected the ez-ject ridge and didn't notice any burs. This is the 45 shellplate as well. After fighting with it a bit and calling Hornady, I changed the shellplate to the 9MM, ran around 30 or so pieces of brass through it and I had 0 failures. Hmmmm. So, I moved back to the 45 shellplate and decided to try a different headstamp brass. I proceeded to cycle 30 pieces of Federal brass through the press with no ejection issues. After closer inspection of the S&B brass to the Federal, it does appear that the S&B has more of a taper to it. Has anyone else had issues with S&B .45ACP brass in the LNL? Is it simply an incompatibility issue or is something else wrong? As I mentioned earlier, I did call Hornady on Monday and described the situation as thoroughly as I could and they thought I might have either a bad subplate or shellplate and they want to replace the subplate first. I did inform the rep that I was using only S&B brass and he provided no indication that this brand was an issue. I had not tried a different brand of brass at the time I spoke with Hornady. Thoughts?

I have the same problem on rare occasion with .40 s&b and blazer brass. I haven't put much thought into it because the edge is more tapered, like you said, so I figured It's just an issue with the brass and not the machine.

Hello All,

I recently aquired a new Hornady LNL and I've set it up next to my 650. On my first run, I noticed that about every 5-10 rounds, the brass would hang hard on the Ez-ject where the head of the brass would try to ride over the ez-ject nub. The brass I was using was all S&B. I inspected the ez-ject ridge and didn't notice any burs. This is the 45 shellplate as well. After fighting with it a bit and calling Hornady, I changed the shellplate to the 9MM, ran around 30 or so pieces of brass through it and I had 0 failures. Hmmmm. So, I moved back to the 45 shellplate and decided to try a different headstamp brass. I proceeded to cycle 30 pieces of Federal brass through the press with no ejection issues. After closer inspection of the S&B brass to the Federal, it does appear that the S&B has more of a taper to it. Has anyone else had issues with S&B .45ACP brass in the LNL? Is it simply an incompatibility issue or is something else wrong? As I mentioned earlier, I did call Hornady on Monday and described the situation as thoroughly as I could and they thought I might have either a bad subplate or shellplate and they want to replace the subplate first. I did inform the rep that I was using only S&B brass and he provided no indication that this brand was an issue. I had not tried a different brand of brass at the time I spoke with Hornady. Thoughts?

Just for grins, see if the "brass" sticks to a magnet. I've run across S&B 9mm brass that was brass plated steel. Now i rake thru my brass bucket with a magnet to pull on any plated fakes.

Hello All,

Just for grins, see if the "brass" sticks to a magnet. I've run across S&B 9mm brass that was brass plated steel. Now i rake thru my brass bucket with a magnet to pull on any plated fakes.

I did think of that previously so I did check all the brass with my magnet. All were good.

I have had the same issue with .223 / 5.56 no particular brand just jams up on the Ex-ject and I have to pull it off , thought the shell was not tight enough but that is not the issue ?? so its a mystery !!!!!

Have this same issue on LNL. on .45 ACP, 9mm, .380, and 40 SW. At first I thought it was isolated to 9mm and certain postions on the plate so I started marking the positions but that wasn't it. So it seemed random but maybe it is the type of brass. I'm a bad reloader and have mixed headstamps so never really thought that might be the issue.

Definitely also occurs if the plate gets loose so that is one thing to check. But even tighted up.... I still get it at seemingly random times. Sure would like to know if you get this fixed with a new subplate. It's just an annoyance... otherwise love my LNL.