Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you reload pistol rounds with rifle powder?

I'm gonna buy 32 lbs of A2230-C for .223. It works out to about $8.60/lb delivered.

Can I use this stuff in reloading 9mm or .40 S&W? Is there any danger (in general) in using rifle powders in pistol rounds?

From my own experience and knowledge, rifle powders are a lot slower than pistol. And in general (AFAIK), slower means safer.

Anybody actually do something like this?

Hmmm. Your reasoning sounds plausible, but unless you can find published load data in a reloading manual, you should not attempt it!

What would your starting load be? What would your max load be? Would a rifle powder burn so slowly that you'd have a bunch of unburned powder flying out the muzzle, or a huge fireball? Would it even be possible to make major?

In my opinion, too risky to attempt to answer those questions unless there's some basis to start out!

DogmaDog

Let me tell you a little story about this.. One time I inadvertantly used rifle powder in my 357 magnum. At the time I was using WW 540 for loading in my Ruger GP-100. I was at the time looking for something as an alternate to Blue Dot. Anyway, I was at the time loading on a Rock Chucker using an RCBS powder measure. I thought what was in the measure was Win 540. It turns out that what was actually in it was Hodgdon H335. So I measured I think 11 grains or whatever the load was for 357 magnum for 540. I loaded about 50 rounds to try out. Well, first shot was a big poof! Powder everywhere, bullet stuck in the barrel, and me scratching my head asking wtf? Now I label all my measures and make sure what I'm using the right powders.. But in one word, no, you cannot use most rifle powders for pistol loads. There are a few exceptions where you might use the faster burning rifle powders in large capacity magnum calibers (4227, 4198, H110, 2400, etc). I think IMR actually had data for some faster burning rifle powders listed for 44 magnum in a rifle configuration, but the pressures were really low and the charges were compressed, they didn't do that good on velocity and I imagine they were really inefficient. Also you don't ever want to get a case full of pistol/shotgun powder into a rifle. We're talking hand grenade here.. I've heard instances of people using bullseye in a 30-06. Not something I want to be near..

Vince

I agree - keep seperate. Good news is that you can do most of your USPSA pistol reloading with only one powder: Titegroup. Should also work for Shotgun. Find a decent rifle powder & you have 3gun covered with only 2 powders.

I also agree with the above.

It would be doubtful you could build enough pressure to get the powder to burn properly, even with a compressed charge.

Dirty , smoky, and slow are not good qualities to have in any load.

Safety wise it might be bad too.

Travis F.