Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The perfect Chronograph?

Hi, I'm still looking for a replacement for my Oehler 35P.

I have not found any better chrono at the moment.

Next step is to add IR or LED strips for fixing low light problems.

For now, IR LED is hard to find.

Had big thoughts about Kurzzeit, but I'm not convinced at all.

So, here is my dream Chrono:

Hardware running a fast CPU and a good/big display for showing the values. (at the shooting bench)

It should have a SD/USB port for export of data, and export function to excel as well.

PC interface if you choose to use a PC at the range.

The chrono should have 2 sets of sensors with 3 cells as Oehler has.

That way you could make chrono velocitys at MV and at let's say @ 100/200/300 yards.

The Chrono hardware/software should be capable of calculating bullet BC out of the two readings/distances.

Wireless transfer from sensors to hardware unit. WiFi or Bluetooth would be great.

12V and 110/220V power inlet.

Instead of fumbling with the 9V batteries I think a 12V battery is a better solution.

A small 12V battery will last for ever.

I know this is a tall order, but maybe some day...

Edited by 340Weatherby

• 4 weeks later...

Having used both Oehler and CED I find I prefer CED.

The Oehler 35P's we used earlier with USPSA Nationals were plagued with sticatto error messages whenever a small generator was used near by. They didn't have any computer interface and support from Oehler was minimal.

The current generation of CED has processors that outrun incandescent lights and if artifical light is needed, it has to be DC--not a bad thing. I presently use an inverter to power the lights from my car...no batterys to recharge.

CED's have been proven by independant radar labs to be .5% more accurate than Oehler (the top two), not that pistol shooting really needs that kind of accuracy but it's nice to know.

CED's customer service is equal to Dillon. 'nuf said on that.

CED supports Practical shooting with 3 complete sets for every Area and above championship match for the US. The affected clubs can keep the equipment, sell it, raffle it off, or put it on the prize table.

If you have an issue with one of their chronographs, it's not uncommon to talk directly to Charles Hardy, owner of the company.

They are also one of the most economical chronographs on the market.

Mr Hardy occasionally sends out requests for product improvement...brain storming ideas. The wireless connection has been suggested. I will admit that the hardwire connedtion to the sensors is problematic at times.

Chronoman