Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Mommy Cleaned Out My Closet!

jmaass

My Mom was cleaning out the closet in my old bedroom just prior to my 48th (uggh) birthday last week, and brought a box full of stuff that she found there.

Most were Amateur Radio magazines, some radio licence manuals, a FORTRAN book and Technical Writing text from my college days, a pristine copy of a "DECSystem-10 Macro-10 Assembler Programmer's Reference Manual" from my job while in college), and some (empty) slide holders from when photography resulted in bits of colored plastic in a paper square.

Also, a few "lost treasures".

My long-lost copy of the 1977 "Saturday Night Live: Host Francisco Franco" book, a collection of reprints of first-year SNL scripts with photos and hand-written notes. Includes the never-aired "Placenta Helper" script (surprisingly, the censors said "no&quot. Long out of print, and something I have mentioned on occassion in the years since I misplaced it!

Some of my 1968 Superman, Flash, and Batman comic books! Unfortunately, I never had many, and read the ones I had. There are three, though, that are in very good condition, and a quick Google search suggests they might be worth $20-30 each (dealers asking $40-$50)!

Still missing is my complete collection of Model Rocketry Magazine from the late 60's. It *was* complete: I found two stray issues here last year, and sold each for ~$20 each! Did anyone else do competition Model Rocketry (from ex-NAR 11711).

I have no doubt that as my Mom digs deeper, she'll find more archaological debris from my youth in the lower levels.

A couple or so "save 'em" items from MY archeological debris:

>>Instructional book on Autocoder for the IBM 1401 (remember IBM cards...?)

>>The Zap Comics "69" issue--MINT condition.

>>Lots of Psychedlic (SFO) concert mailers (postard format)--UTTERLY MINT condition.

Rocketry?!

[super Geek Mode ON]

Woo Hoo!!  I used to have some big fun with my Dad doing that.  We had THE setup in our little town.  No competition though, it was all too far away back then.   I made a mega-igniter from a motor-cycle battery and a bunch of old airplane parts that looked really professional.  I'll bet I've got $100 worth of engines left to burn up too.