Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitioning from glock to CZ

El Guapo

I have been sitting on the fence about switching platforms. What if any difficulties did you face switching? Which model would you buy if you were planning to mostly use for 3 gun but also wanted to shoot idpa?

The only obvious transition issue for me was switching to a DA/SA trigger. Lots of dry fire practice makes that a non-issue. I don't even think about it anymore. Also, if you purchase a CZ75 Shadow Custom from CZ Custom the trigger will be even lighter and smoother (consider adding the SHRT trigger upgrade as well) and you will be able to use it in IDPA SSP.

I switched from Glock 34 to CZ Shadow Custom. You have to train some what on the Da to SA pull, my biggest problem was engaging the safety on reloads because I wasn't use to having a safety. But other than that it was a good switch, I love my G34 but I find it easier to shoot my Shadow faster and more accurate. The grip is so comfortable better to me than a 1911 even and the all metal gun makes recoil very tame. It's all personal preference but if I had to shoot one and sell the other I would sell the Glock.

Are you switching to a CZ or just adding a CZ, and planning to keep the Glock? If you get a DA/SA, there is a very obvious difference in the trigger pull. If you get a SA only- same pull all the time just like a glock. SA will bump you out of production div (USPSA) and out of SSP (IDPA). I kept my Glock for production/ssp and went with a SA CZ to shoot Limited/ESP. Mostly just to try a differnt type of gun, heavier steel frame, magwell etc.

Here are the differences I came across relative to shooting IDPA and USPSA:

1. Deactivating the safety when drawing ( if applicable).- This is a very easy motion, because your right thumb automatically will be positioned on the safety when drawing.

2. Reloads- with the Glock, after I droped the old mag and then would insert the new mag I used my right thumb to activate the slide lever. With a CZ this was impossible for me due to the location of the lever. So I had to learn how to do this with my left thumb while regripping. Very different. Between the safety lever and the slide lever, it took a longer than expected to get used to it. Now it is second nature. Many good shooters do it this way anyway, and I never knew that.