Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 (used)

Dillon%20550.JPG

Can anyone tell me what is missing from the retail package. I want to buy this press at a fair price but I have a feeling it is going to be sold as show above with nothing else.

Edit: Opps also wanted to say hello, it's my first post. Great site here with allot of great info.

Ok second edit: I know I know, read the FAQ.... Well I just did and gave me the answer I was looking for. First post and I'm already :wacko:

Yup. Then they'll charge $50 for shipping and you'll spend another $100+ in parts to replace what's missing - at which point you could have had a brand-new, unmolested press shipped to your door from Brian and be completely happy.

Ditto on what EricW said.

I tried for 3 months to get a good price on a used 550 from ebay. Good price being 50-75% retail. I never could get close. Plus the retards would always remove a part or two (primer alarm, powder funnel, etc.) to screw the end user.

I just placed an order from BE a few days ago. I would skip ebay and buy it from BE. If you are thinking about ordering, I would do it SOON. Dillon (and BE ) are raising prices in Oct/Nov. That prompted me to place my order.

I ordered nearly $500 worth of stuff for 19.99 shipping. No other Dillon dealer came close the BE's prices. Plus his service is excellent.

I just can't see buying a press you know is missing parts, and then trying to get Dillon to fix it under warranty. Their warranty is great, but its intent is not to save you from obvious shysters.

The press as shown needs a lot of stuff. In addition to what Eric said, you'd also need all the caliber specific stuff--a set of dies, and a shell plate/locator buttons, and powder funnel, and mounting hardware.

By the time you spend $145 for dies, caliber conversion kit, and a powder measure (retail prices), you're up to the $330 price of a new 550!

The press will last you forever, and if you eventually decide you need to sell it (with ALL of its parts), you can get a large chunk of your investment back.

DogmaDog

With all due respect, rewarding some e-bay nitwit by buying an overpriced bare press, then sticking Dillon for the extra parts to bring it up to snuff isn't exactly kosher.

Should I find an abused 550 (or other Dillon press) lying in a gutter, I'd ship it to AZ without hesitation. But the e-bay bozo is probably listing the powder measure, etc. separately. If it all goes according to the usual e-bay pattern, he'll sell the press in parts for more than Dillon would whole.

Click and order from Brian. You'll feel better, and never regret it.

Sead0nkey,

looks like you already found the answers you needed, so I won't bother you with another advice on that press. ;)

Perhaps you might want to listen to a general advice when it comes to your hobby (that happens to involve safety): looking to cut corners and save some bucks it's almost normal for everybody, but the shooting field (especially IPSC), is not the right place for this practice.

I mean, when starting things, it's normal you don't want to spend an eye and a leg in something you're not sure will attract you for a lifetime (similar to a relationship, isn't it?) and, unless you're really wealthy, you can try it with borrowed or cheap stuff; but when you deem you're hooked, when you decide it's time to do serious business, that's the right time to invest in the best you can afford, because it will serve you for ever.

It applies to almost everything shooting-related you can buy: gun, gear, press, etc.

BTW, welcome to these forums: you'll always find someone lending a hand here! :)