Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 9mm major

RickyH

There are 2-types of Frontier .355-124 grains bullets; the regular .355, which has a thinner copper plate and the .355-124 grains MATCH, which has the thicker copper plating.

I have used both in my open guns. I find that the lead of the regular .355 is very soft that no matter how much crimp I apply to it when reloading, there will always be a bullet setback upon battery in the chamber. While it can handle the 1320 FPS-plus velocity of an open round, I dont recommend this type in an open gun because of the above reason.

After reading the review of the Frontier .355 match bullets from the Frontsight Magazine. We decided to have a group buy and I purchased 5k of .355-124 grns MATCH to try (for practice purposes) I was actually surprised to see the big difference in hardness of the MATCH bullet from the regular .355. After loading a few round with this bullet heads, I did my bullet setback test of the Frontier match bullet by pushing a loaded round against the table - I am happy to say there was no bullet setback. I made a few dummy rounds and ran it through my open guns by cycling the bullet, simulating the actual slamming of the slide when firing a loaded round - NO bullet setback.

In my opinion, the Frontier match bullet is way better in hardness compared to the regular ones.

While both Frontier regular and match bullets are very accurate (in my open guns), I will never look back in using the regular Frontier .355-124 bullets. :)

My advise, stick to MATCH type Frontier .355-124 grns for open gun.

This is my 2-cents worth of opinion. :)