Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 bullets in a 9mm

Giant81

As far as I know there is no problem at all using 38 (.357) bullets in a 9mm (.355/356) load at all but I thought it worth asking those that know more than I.

I can't find any good 124gr .356 bullets but did happen to find a source of some 125gr .357 and figured I'd try those and see how they would work.

I have had some success with Montana Gold 158 JHP in a Glock 17 using 3.6gr WSF and Win SPP at 1.12OAL. They shoot softer than 147gr and N320, but accuracy is poor.

edit to add: I have mic'ed rounds from several different boxes of MG 158gr and they have all measured .356

Edited by rback

I honestly do not know if Glocks are more tolerant to oversized bullets. I have however fired thousands of .356 lead 147gr downrange with no issues other than some minor leading just ahead of the throat(clean every 3-500 rounds).

The lead in the MG 158gr is extremely soft, which is what gave me the idea in the first place. I was more concerned with finding a powder that wouldn't be compressed by the longer bullet than I was with the extra .001 diameter.