Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximizing 2011 within IPSC Standard box

MikeRush

I want to set up a competitive limited/standard gun that can pull dual duty for domestic and international matches. I see guns set up for Standard with up to 5.4 inch barrels, but then see references to things like shortening the length of the beavertail, tritopping the slide to get the sights lower, etc. I am planning on running STI tubes with either the dawson international or DAA basepads (leaning towards the DAA). I will probably have an STI factory magwell as a lot of the larger magwells won't fit the box due to depth.

What other features allow maximizing sight radius and performance while still fitting the box with common mag/basepad setups? I likely will just have a smith that has done IPSC guns build it for me, and it may very well end up being just a 5 inch gun, but I am curious if there are other tricks that might help even things out now that Limited is wide open to trusights and 6 inch guns, etc. I still have a lot of work to do on my shooting (using a G24 shooting roughly B class- not there yet due a 5% score in my first 4 classifiers) but I want to treat myself to a 2011 after I make A.

Tri topping the slide would give you a lower sight position, but you can also put an SV rear sight which sits lower than "Bomar" style rear sights.

Magwell width is not the problem, the problem is that if you go for a 5.4 barrel/slide, you will have to trim the back as well as the beavertail and the mainspring housing.

Check out Infinity's website , you will have some pictures of 5.4 pistols.

Thank you for the suggestion! Infinity makes some beautiful pistols. The 5.4s set up for standard seem to be tri topped, have the low mount infinity sight (looks like a great product), the back of the magwell is machined to fit the box and the beavertail is shortened. That leaves me with a lot to think about (besides trying to finance an Infinity).

Are there any other features that are important for a Standard pistol as opposed to a Limited?