Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 Competition Master

jkushner1

Eric Wesselman of TruGrip fame responded to a post of mine regarding my new, ordered, but yet to be rec'd, 1100 Competition Master. Eric questioned whether the gas ports in the Comp Master are drilled/expanded as part of the oem gun - if not he recommends getting this work done - does anyone know if Remington is enlarging the ports as part of the original design or do I have to have this work done once I receive the gun. Thanks Eric.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jkushner1

:D

From Eric W.:

"Jon,

The only time loading with the hammer down is an issue is during dryfire when you don't know anybetter. Once I figured it out, it's never been a problem in the real world for me.

Unless remmy drilled your gas ports as part of the CM package, you have some work to do. You'll need to open them up to reliably cycle the lighter loads you'll need to be competitive. Light birdshot and reduced recoil slugs get the job done. 2 3/4 is all you can stuff in an 1100. It's also all you'll ever need.

Save your money on the ghost rings unless you're shooting slugs beyond 75 yards frequently. All you need out to 50 are the beads. At 100 yards, I have a much tougher time being consistent with the slugs - but I think that's a pretty rare circumstance in 3 gun and wouldn't feel justified in slowing down every other shot you'll make for the sake of accomodating such a rarity.

I highly recommend Defensive Edge's (www.defensiveedge.net) interceptor latch fix. It seems very robust. Once we got the bugs worked out of my gun, it's been 100% reliable - which can't be said of a lot of guns with the factory interceptor latch setup.

--------------------

Bench rests are for girly men.

www.ericwesselman.com"

Hey Jon,

If you dig around this very forum - maybe back a couple months - you should find the answers to your questions. I've got to go pound some pavement and lose some blubber, or I'd do a search for ya. I just wish I remember if the CM had its ports opened up. It's no biggie to do if you have a set of letter drills. You'll probably have to go over 0.100" to get reliable function. Mine are 0.107 I think. George's are something like 0.180" (the very extreme end).