Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to look for?

cz75ipsc

I've read here on the forums that even quality S_I -type guns differ a lot from other guns of the same type when coming out of the factory. People talk about having a "slow barrel" or a "loose slide to frame fit" etc.

My Q is, what should I look for in a new gun? The place I'm buying the gun from has over 10 new guns of the type I want, so I CAN be picky.

The gun is an Edge :wub:

Ten guns of the type you like? You lucky guy! :D

I hope someone else chimes in. But I'll do my best to help you pick one.

Aside from cosmetics this is what I would look for.

Slide to frame fit and barrel hood fit. Then stick my finger in the tip of the barrel to see if there's any play. Check to see how smooth the slide glides back and forth. Last but not least how the trigger feels. That totally depends on personal taste. Only you can decide what you like. With so many options and custom features these days it's really difficult to say which is best. It would probably be good if you could test out some pistols to see what you actually prefer.

I'm no expert in these matter, but my checks are as follows:

* General fit and finish. check the amount of use and abuse the gun withstood

* Slide to frame fit

* Barrel to slide fit by pressing down on the barrel hood. Movement means repairs/adjustments

* Barrel bushing/barrel play

* Barrel to frame fit. Remove recoil spring and re-assemble gun with slide stop pointing 90 deg down. Rack back the slide and press hard against the muzzle. Slide stop must be lose. Push slide forward and just hold it there. No movement on the barrel anywhere....

* With completely assembled gun, cock 'n lock it, pull and release the trigger then drop the safety - if the hammer drops.....repairs and adjustments

* Check for slide lock with empty mags (if this is important to you)

* Check all mags for wear...cost thing to buy new ones.

* Check if gunsmithing on the gun has been done and what quality

Then go for all the extras, personals perf stuff, etc.

My own rule: Never buy a secondhand IPSC gun unless you know it better than your wife!