Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN keeps jamming

broke_again

I had the lifter welded by CRums. Using Federal and Estate loads the shells keep jamming on the extractor groove. It was recommended to me to use Remington shells as they are harder and slightly longer.

I just hit the area around my extractor aggressively with the dremel. There are no flat surfaces to catch on now.

My question is, has anyone welded inside the lifter to build up the right side in order to push the shells left? How well did it work?

Thanks

If you do add weight to the lifter. Replace the lifter, carrier dog, spring with 2 extra power glock extractor springs:

http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/WSD-Extractor-Depressor-Spring.html

Adding weight to the lifter by welding it up is the root of all slp problems as it is, adding more weight is not going to make the gun more reliable in the long term IMO. I am no expert but I fought pretty hard to make one work and I ended up spending about 2k being hard headed.

If you do add weight to the lifter. Replace the lifter, carrier dog, spring with 2 extra power glock extractor springs:

http://www.whitesoun...sor-Spring.html

Adding weight to the lifter by welding it up is the root of all slp problems as it is, adding more weight is not going to make the gun more reliable in the long term IMO. I am no expert but I fought pretty hard to make one work and I ended up spending about 2k being hard headed.

Good point. I will shoot it to see if the removal of the sharp surfaces helps the snagging problems.

The cyclic action on an SLP is extremely fast. The lifter has to work really hard to keep up. The carrier dog spring wears out pretty fast. If you' ve already throated the chamber, then make sure your spring is fresh. You can purchase them directly from FN and they are cheap. I swapped mine out every winter and kept a spare just in case. The glock spring trick works too.

The cyclic action on an SLP is extremely fast. The lifter has to work really hard to keep up. The carrier dog spring wears out pretty fast. If you' ve already throated the chamber, then make sure your spring is fresh. You can purchase them directly from FN and they are cheap. I swapped mine out every winter and kept a spare just in case. The glock spring trick works too.

I will swap the spring out. The gun is over two years old so the spring might be weak.

Thanks

This. A buddy of mine has to replace springs regularly otherwise it has the exact problem described by OP.

Also the carrier dog guide ( little dinky wire piece ) gets bent out of shape and can cause the carrier movement to be out of time. If you have a stock one lay it next to it ...you'll be surprised how bent it can be. They will break on you if you arent careful.If you try the glock spring setup make sure you cut at least 2-3 coils off...even though the length may be the same the spring rate on the extractor springs is way higher than the factory spring.