Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Qualification

Phil Dunlop

In NZ we are required to complete a course and test before we are allowed to draw a loaded handgun from a holster. That process is currently under reveiw and I'd like to know how many other regions have a similar process and any information on their courses would be appreciated.

Thanks, P.D.

Phil

In the UK we insist on all would-be competition shooters taking a 2 day training course which emphasises safety. We insist on this even for those who have been shooting a while. If they are experienced a good instructor simply changes the emphasis of the course but the net result is that each person must satisfy the instructor that they are "competition safe".

The course lasts a minimum of 14 hours and includes 1.5 - 2 hours in the classroom as an introduction to the sport. Max ratios on the course: 12 students per instructor but if over 6 students the insructor must have an assistant, usually a trainee instructor. i.e. max ratio 6 students to 1 instructor or instructors assistant. All live firing must be supervised on a one to one basis.

The instructor can choose to fail a student OR issue a certificate that they have successfully attended the course OR issue the certificate AND a competition pass certificate as well. The difference being that some students may not have done anything wrong but are considered to lack the experience or ability to safely conduct themselves through a match.

Some years ago we only had pass or fail which could create dilemmas for students who hadn't actually cocked up but were a bit shaky. The safe thing to do was to fail them but this was discouraging. With the current format they get a certificate to take home and then they are advised to practice some more at their home clubs and when they feel ready again they simply submit themselves for a short re-test. Both the course and the re-tests include a markmanship test which has to be passed which was requested/required by the police/military over here.

In the early nineties we started to issue Competition Licences to prove that a competitor was up to a competition standard and in which disciplines. Two DQs for safety reasons in any 12 months results in the licence being suspended until a re-test can be arranged with an appointed instructor. This aspect has had a real interesting affect and really focuses the attention of the infrequent (very) offenders.

The bottom line is that without a competition licence you can't enter a match and this gives a reassuring minimum standard of safety for everyone who takes part. The authorities love the system and often quote the UKPSA way of doing things which has given us some respectability in a generally less favoursed type of shooting.

I'll see if I can dig out some notes later this week and will forward them to you including the shooting test/re-test.

Almost same here in Italy.

Only difference from UK is that for shooting IPSC, local Federation requires you to take a training course with a certified (from Federation itself) instructor, at the end of which you'll go through a practical exam that, if passed, will give you the Bronze Certificate needed to shoot league matches (you could always shoot local/club matches without it, but this is at the risk of the club).

The course format is the same as Neil pointed out: only difference is that here it is usual to have an instructor/students ratio of 1:4.

Hi Phil,

In Hong Kong (and Macau), we operate similarly to the UK, as explained by Neil. Our system is actually called the "Safe Shooter Progam" and, after training (the duration of which varies from person to person), each aspiring competitor must pass a written exam (e.g. rules etc.) and a practical test.

I've personally run about 300 people through the test and I've only ever rejected one guy who failed the practical portion 3 times (he was downright scary!!). Anyway, as I've passed on the torch, I don't do much testing these days, but I'll send you some info by email.

BTW, one of our IPSC committees is working on a "template" program which can be adopted (and or modified) by member Regions. This will be especially useful for new regions, but I suspect it will also prove useful for established regions too.

Thanks for that info, our current test involves both practical and theory, and is used for all holster users. With the rise of Cowboy Action the course is being adapted to cover the extra discipline.

Hong Kong, the UK and NZ include a marksmanship test, is this really necessary, and what does it achieve?

I can't imagine an alternative, but is a pass always left to the judgement of the instructors?

Vince, when is the template due for release?

P.D.

Hong Kong, the UK and NZ include a marksmanship test, is this really necessary, and what does it achieve?

In Hong Kong, it's actually a "gun handling" test (details already sent to you). The practical portion requires each competitor to go through a series of drills, which tests their ability to handle their gun safely under time pressure, and also to hit the intended targets (e.g. no wild shots).

It might not seem like much to experienced IPSC competitors but, for a beginner, being required to draw and fire 2 shots at T1, reload, and fire 2 shots at T2 from 15 metres in 7 seconds is quite daunting, especially when you're being watched by an instructor who breathes through a respirator <click> <wheeze> ;)

I'll check on the progress of the template and will revert ASAP.

Phil,

Italy includes a marksmanship test too, at the end of the course, passing which the shooter is awarded the Bronze certificate.

Below it's the test description:

Exercise no.1: 1 target @ 10 m. Standing in relaxed position, loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal engage T1 with 6 rounds freestyle.

Exercise no.2: 1 target @ 10 m. Standing in relaxed position, loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal engage T1 with 6 rounds strong hand only.

Exercise no.3: 1 target @ 15 m. Standing in relaxed position, loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal engage T1 with 6 rounds freestyle.

Exercise no.4: 1 target @ 15 m. Standing in relaxed position, loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal engage T1 with 6 rounds from kneeling position.

Exercise no.5: 2 targets @ 20 m, 60 cm spaced. Standing in relaxed position behind a barricade (approx 1 m wide), loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal engage T1 (left target) with 6 rounds from left side of the barricade.

Exercise no.6: 2 targets @ 20 m, 60 cm spaced. Standing in relaxed position behind a barricade (approx 1 m wide), loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal engage T2 (right target) with 6 rounds from right side of the barricade.

Exercise no.7: 1 target @ 25 m. Seated with hands on knees, loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal, from seated position, engage T1 with 6 rounds.

Exercise no.8: 1 target @ 30 m. Standing in relaxed position, loaded and holstered handgun. On start signal, go prone and engage T1 with 6 rounds.

Notes:

- No penalties are to be awarded for Miss/Extra Shots. Points to be calculated as per IPSC scoring, according to the Division and PF declared by the candidate.

- Test is deemed to be successfully passed if candidate scores 180 or higher points.

- A time limit of 2 mins is applied to every Exercise.

The test is aimed to show candidate has basic knowledge of range/loading/unloading commands and procedures, as well as being able to manipulate the handgun complying with safety rules.

Hope this helps.

Here in Namibia we have no required testing of any kind, I however have a similar practical test to the one from Italy as well as a theoretical course for all IPSC beginners. We add par times in some instances and the shooter must obtain a minimum % of the total points to qualify for national competitions.

It more for safety of all than a anything else.

Phil

I've just sent you a copy of the UKPSA's shooting test which includes the markmanship test. I have never been overly bothered by latter but the police and military range authorities needed something measurable. Personally I give more sway to safe misses than dangerous hits.

In reality we made the markmanship test VERY easy to pass and we left the final decision about the ability of the students up to the Instructor who would also take into account attitude as well.

The important thing for the UKPSA was to ensure that everyone who was allowed to shoot a Level II match or above had attained a minimum safety standard. Each person entering a competition has been tested by a competent person. The thought of just allowing anyone to turn up and shoot who could have little or no experience would worry me a lot. The potential litigation issues could be very awkward otherwise.

Hi guys,

For those who are interested, this is the practical test we use in Little China:

IPSC HONG KONG - SAFE SHOOTER PRACTICAL TEST

Prior to actually commencing the practical test, the student will demonstrate the following to the satisfaction of the testing officer:

A. Load and make ready procedure.

B. Unload and show clear procedure.

C. Malfunction/stoppage drill (stove pipe, tap rack, full clearance).

The practical test will be shot on two full IPSC Classic targets spaced 1 metre apart. Targets are numbered 1 (left) and 2 (right). The start position for all drills will be student standing upright, arms relaxed and hanging naturally by his sides. It is the student’s responsibility to safely clear any malfunctions which might occur during the test.

No re-shoot will be given if the student's equipment malfunctions.

Drill 1: 15m Draw & fire 2 shots at each target in any order in 5 seconds.

Drill 2: 15m Draw & fire 2 shots at T1 from Standing Position then fire 2 shots at T2 from Prone Position in 8 seconds.

Drill 3: 15m Draw & fire 1 shot at each target from Standing Position, then fire 1 shot at each target from Kneeling Position in 7 seconds.

Drill 4: 15m Draw & fire 2 shots at T1, reload, then fire 2 shots at T2 in 7 seconds.

Drill 5: 10m Draw & fire 2 shots at T1, reload, then fire 2 shots at T2 STRONG HAND ONLY in 7 seconds.

Drill 6: 10m Draw & fire 2 shots at T1, reload, then fire 2 shots at T2 WEAK HAND ONLY from the 7m line in 9 seconds.

Drill 7: 07m Draw & fire 2 shots at each target in any order in 3 seconds.

Drill 8: 07m Start facing uprange. On the start signal turn, draw & fire 2 shots at each target in any order in 6 seconds.

A minimum of 24 hits in total (e.g. 75%) are required to pass. If a competitor causes a DQ incident (e.g. dropped gun), he is automatically disqualified and must go to remedial classes.

Candidates who successfully pass the written & practical tests are given a "probationary" membership card. Once they've actually shot three matches without being DQd for a safety issue, they obtain their "full" card.