Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger P89 mags fit my M&P 9

photog

I just cut the right slots in the front of the mag for the mag release to fit. Dry testing 3 old 10 round P89 mags and they cycle in the M&P just fine. The P89 mags are a bit smaller but they lock up just fine. The follower does not engage the slide lock. I have yet to test fire them, but I'm pretty sure they will function just fine.

This was a super easy job with a Dremel and a cutting wheel and small grinding wheel.

Just thowinging it out there into inter-web land as a bit of info.

Good info to know. I've got 6 M&P mags for my gun but also have several P-89/P-95 mags as well. Heck even for 10-rounders I'd almost prefer them over native ones as Ruger 10-round mags seat fine for me, whereas the M&P 10-rounders (of which I have 2 - they came with the gun) are so tight that you have to push them in unnaturally hard to seat them if the slide is closed.

As a point of interest, you might try swapping over a factory S&W follower to the Ruger mag. I'd wager that it would lock open the slide just fine with the right follower subbed-in.

Tried them out and the function just fine. Sorry if you think ruger 10 rounders are somehow wasted now that they have another notch cut in them. I can guarantee they still work in the P89. But alas, the P89 is going to get sold as it feels as good as a furring strip in my hand.

I've looked around for m&p followers and they are out of stock everywhere, but I could definitely get them to work (once found).