Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

newbie really wants try out USPSA...what division?

ICEMAN28

Either division will do.

I started in L10 then moved to SS, shooting a Single Stack Les Baer in .45.

Your performance will be essentially the same in either division and you will have fun in either division! :)

If you are comfortable with the equipment placement restrictions of SS, I would say shoot that.

If you are more comfortable with the equipment placement freedom of L10, I would say shoot that.

Starting out, that will be the biggest difference between the two divisions.

I say if you have the equipment to shoot both SS and L-10 then you should shoot them both and determine which one you like better or find more competition at your local club. I would say that L-10 gives you a little more freedom in selecting equipment and placement on your body, but from a stage planner perspective I don't see much difference between the two.

One obvious advantage I see is having a couple extra rounds on tap for make-up shots, but seeing as our rulebook has guidelines on what stage designers can and cannot do with regard to the number of rounds required per shooting location, I probably do as much reloading in L10 as I do in SS. i.e. Shoot 6, reload while moving to the next array that has four paper tagets, shoot 8, reload while moving, shoot 4 steel (with 6 shots...), reload while moving then shoot 8 in the last array to finish... doesn't really seem to matter on a lot of stages if I have 8 or 10 in the mag.

Aren't there a lot of discussions about how little advantage the two extra rounds SS minor gives you with 10+1 capacity compared to shooting SS major with 8+1? So wouldn't that same argument apply to the difference in stage planning between SS and L10? Granted, every now and then you find a stage where the designer intentionally or inadvertently allowed you to engage some targets from multiple locations, and this is where the PRD, L-10, and SS-minor guys with the 10+1 capacity may be able to devise a stage plan that is -1 reload from what the SS shooters have to do.

I shot SS for quite a while before getting lured into Limited, but I like to mix it up and will also shoot SS, L10, and PRD for the variety as well as to keep certain skills fresh. Its all good, and isn't the mantra run whatcha brung?

Since you are a new shooter I would recommend L10 since you have the gear for it. I say L10 for the simple reason that there will most likely be production shooter at the match that can help you figure out the stages, and you have more rounds so you don't get frustrated running out as often. Sure, your gear is more suited and would be more competitive in SS but your first couple matches are about learning anyway and L10 gives you more opportunity to do that.